Gil Evans & Ten

DMP

Back at the turn of the century, when it was briefly a thing, Fantasy released a bunch of SACD hybrids, the usual suspects that had been reissued many times. I never thought the sound was anything special - okay, of course, but nothing like (say) the Analogue issues of some of the same material. But I recently pulled out “Gil Evans & Ten,” and it is really sounds great! (The notes say how the original stereo tapes were used for the first time.)  If you haven’t heard it in awhile, worth digging out. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I just picked up a cd of Gil & Ten only a couple months ago — the very last of any of Gil’s pre-1975 leader-dates that I was missing, and a hole in my collection that I’d had for 20+ years.

A very nice date, and I think I actually prefer it over both of his two ‘58-59 World Pacific albums.

I’m normally hesitant about soprano (:ph34r:), but Lacy’s timbre here turned out to be interesting and a welcome new arrow in Gil’s quiver (new for me, at least).

Via Discogs, I just looked at the back covers for all the early issues/reissues of & Ten, and   “Zeke Tolin” is first outed with the 1970 reissue — but all of 6 preceding issues do maintain the pseudonym (and always in quotes).

So I wonder at what point — and how?? (meaning from a contractual standpoint) — how does it become ok to correct these personnel listings officially on jackets??

Or do the rights-holders (to the recording, meaning those doing the reissue) just say f-it, enough time has passed (whatever that means), let’s just name them.

I mean, it’s not like there’s a statute of limitations on this stuff, or is there??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Via Discogs, I just looked at the back covers for all the early issues/reissues of & Ten, and   “Zeke Tolin” is first outed with the 1970 reissue — but all of 6 preceding issues do maintain the pseudonym (and always in quotes).

So I wonder at what point — and how?? (meaning from a contractual standpoint) — how does it become ok to correct these personnel listings officially on jackets??

Or do the rights-holders (to the recording, meaning those doing the reissue) just say f-it, enough time has passed (whatever that means), let’s just name them.

I mean, it’s not like there’s a statute of limitations on this stuff, or is there??

I would guess there's more of a fraternity/cameraderie among players (musicians, record owners, etc.) in the jazz world.  They all knew each other, and most were friends.  After a while, they probably didn't care, and wanted the real story to get out (so that "Zeke" could get some recognition, for example).  Another example is Bennie Green's "Soul Stirrin'" on Blue Note.  At the time of its release, Gene Ammons was credited only as "Jug."  But by the '80's reissues, he was credited in full.

I can't imagine that any current owner of a long inactive label is going to pursue any legal action, as it would be unlikely to be worth the legal expenses, not to mention that the artists involved, who may have had exclusive recording contracts at the time of recording, are likely long dead. 

I didn't hear any whining about George Lane being revealed as Eric Dolphy, which was long common knowledge, when Atlantic reissued Olé Coltrane in 1988.