Lockdown and listening

The Guardian newspaper had a nice two-way interview recently between the comedian Stewart Lee and Shirley Collins the folk singer.  In it, Stewart Lee mentioned the effect that lockdown has had on his listening habits, and describes himself as having "returned to the sort of relationship with music that I had when I was a teenager, when you just had to stay in and no one would talk to you."

I thought it was an interesting point, because I have also experienced something like a return of the total absorption / obsession with music that I had when I was much younger over this period.  I've spent far more time working at a desk with headphones in than I had done for over a decade, with no interruptions, and I have found myself returning to a lot of the free improv and jazz records that I loved as a student, as well as delving into new areas that I'd never really thought of before, like Warne Marsh and friends, and Afro-Cuban records. 

I'd be interested in hearing from the rest of you. Has anyone else had a similar experience? How has it affected your listening habits? What musical rabbit holes have you been exploring?

Sadly, one other effect that it has had on me has been that I've fallen off the wagon badly and plunged back into buying vinyl at a time when I can't really afford it.

Edited by Rabshakeh

No discernible deviations from what I usually listened to. My job doesn't allow for lots of workday listening but I have snuck some in.

I have bought a lot more however, yes that vinyl wagon has been well and truly left behind here too and I love it - as I have said before it's a great way to get to know your postman.

But most different has been an increase in download purchasing, I'm now over missing the booklets and the physical CD. I think this has been largely down to having shelves that are really now too full and a broken CD player that no one wants to mend, so no point in buying CDs, and the advent of Bandcamp Day.

I seem to be developing a two pronged approach - downloads for most contemporary releases (meaning I'm again buying more US releases the CDs of which had become increasingly more expensive to import - sorry Squidco) and LPs for albums originally released on that format. Some contemporary LP releases purchased just because I fancy them - Nat Birchall, Laurence Pike and anything on International Anthem for instance.

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

The only thing I can identify with is buying vinyl at a time that I can't afford it.

story of my life!

but yeah, I've been listening to CDs a lot more in the last year; now that I no longer review albums, the pressure is off and I can just listen to things and enjoy them. It's fun!