Two trumpets?

Chrome

There's a couple of things with Donald Byrd: with Joe Gordon on the first Transition date (recently reissued as a 2CD Conn), also Byrd guests with Dizzy Reece on the later's Blue Note debut (recorded in London), "Blues In Trinity" (this will be included in the forthcoming Dizzy Reece Mosaic Select).

Then Freddy Hubbard and Woody Shaw made two albums for Blue Note. They were released on a 2CD set. Pretty good stuff!

These are the few that come to my mind right now.

ubu

There is a sextet session with Donald Byrd and Lee Morgan on the Hank Mobley Mosaic set, but it is not one of my favorites. You might try Donald Byrd's Transition sessions, one of which features Joe Gordon on trumpet on several tracks. Then there's Coltrane's "Interplay for Two Trumpets and Two Tenors, " which I haven't heard but can't be all that bad given the cast.

The Condoli brothers did a few sessions of two-trumpet pieces (some in the fifties, and some later, I think)

One of the fifteies pieces is on the Mercury Jazz Story, which I thought to be pretty good in a sort of West Coast/show-bizzy mode, though Conte especially was capable of much more than that.

--eric

LP I recently picked up, Dizzy Reece (trumpet) & Ted Curson (trumpet and flugelhorn), "Blowin' Away," with Roy Haynes (d), Sam Jones (bass) and Claude Williamson (p). Recorded June 9, 1978, Interplay Records IP-7716. Doesn't appear to have made it to CD, or if it did, now OOP. AMG gives it 4 stars.

AMG Dizzy Reece LP

Edited by Leeway

Of the two trumpet recs here, my vote would go for the Byrd with Art Farmer. It took me a while to get that one but it was worth the wait.

There's also that Double or Nothing cd with Conde Candoli and Lee although they don't actually play together too much on the cd.

Edited by Brad

If you can handle three trumpets, you might look into this

e93341i0jlc.jpg

Here you have Clifford Brown, Maynard Ferguson, and Clark Terry all out for a little bit of blood. Dinah is in top shape too.

And DEFINTELY check out the disc with Dizzy Gillespie and Roy Eldridge together. The new Mosaic Roy Eldridge set has the complete set of recordings with those two. But the 70+ minute CD released about 8 years ago (Roy and Diz) hit like lightning.

Then there is always the session with Fats Navarro and Howard McGhee.

Edited by John L

If you can handle three trumpets, you might look into this

e93341i0jlc.jpg

Here you have Clifford Brown, Maynard Ferguson, and Clark Terry all out for a little bit of blood. Dinah is in top shape too.

Thanks for the tips ... of the discs mentioned, this is the only one I have ... the version of "Under My Skin" on that is fantastic!

Speaking of Tim Hagans, what do people think of his playing? I've got his "Audible Architecture," but I don't find myself putting it on too much.

I've always loved the Howard McGhee/Fats Navarro date for Blue Note. It was reissued in the double set of Tadd Dameron and Navarro a few years back, but I think that's OP.

In addition to the Farmer/Byrd on Prestige, there's a "Three Trumpets" date, where they added Idrees Sulieman. I like this one a bunch.

Lots of good stuff mentioned in the mean time that I own and love - the Navarro/McGhee are great (they're on the marvellous 2CD Navarro/Dameron Blue Note release).

Also "Night of the Cookers" - I do like it. Not one to hear too often, but sometimes it's just what I want to hear.

"Groovin' For Nat" is alright, but one thing about it does bother me somewhat, and that's the fact (uh, that's a big word, rather read: my opinion...) that Coles is just so much more intresting a musician as Byrd. (Maybe this is sacrilege, but I love Coles, and I stay with that opinion...)

The Diz/Roy disc John mentioned is a real winner! If you don't plan on getting the Mosaic, do pick it up! Good playing by both of them, and they're not just trying to cut each other - there's some pretty lyrical stuff on it, too.

@Leeway: I have seen a Curson CD coupling two (or three) sessions, with Reece on one of them. I cannot remember the title, and I did not pick it up, as it did not really grab me (I listened to it at some store). I am not sure it's the same disc, but Curson made only very few dates as a leader, so it might well be the one.

ubu

On Paul Gonsalves' "Tell Me Like It Is" (Impulse!), there's at least two cuts where Rolf Ericson and Ray Nance just trade fours for a long stretch, instead of each of them soloing - a good idea to bring in some variation, and fun it is, too!

Oh, and come to think of it, on Red Rodney's Savoy album (maybe he did more than one, I'm not sure, I have it on a Denon CD reissue) - there's one track where Ira Sullivan, who sticks to tenor otherwise, plays trumpet alongside Rodney - some of the best two trumpet playing I ever heard! Smokin'!

It's this one here:

148.jpg

(but, as I said, only one tune with two trumpets, otherwise this is an excellent bop/hardbop date with t/ts frontline)

ubu

On Paul Gonsalves' "Tell Me Like It Is" (Impulse!), there's at least two cuts where Rolf Ericson and Ray Nance just trade fours for a long stretch, instead of each of them soloing - a good idea to bring in some variation, and fun it is, too!

Is that this?

f16997wtnhs.jpg

I spotted a few available and think I'm going to order a copy right now.

Is that this?

f16997wtnhs.jpg

I spotted a few available and think I'm going to order a copy right now.

Yes it is, sorry for being too lazy to check that title before writing!

When did actually that general laziness thing got started? And who was the first to suffer from that disease?

ubu