Breyer's Ice Cream

So they were having a sale at our local Kroger on Breyer's ice cream. 1/2 gallon for $2.88. Usually they are upwards of $6.00. So we picked up two.

Man... I hadn't had their strawberry ice cream in a long time. It reminded me of the ice cream my mom use to make in the summer using her own garden grown strawberries. How unique is it to find a dessert product these days that only has five ingredients? And uses real sugar instead of corn syrup?

Amazing.... I LOVE THIS STUFF! :)

Great Side-Effect #15 of having a pregnant wife. ICE CREAM when it's 28 degrees out! :)

I grew up on Breyer's. Vanilla, Peach, Strawberry, Butter Pecan being my favorites. However...

They are all CRAP compared to Blue Bell. I don't know if it's available in Michigan but if it's not and your an ice cream lover, I got two words for you ROAD TRIP.

This stuff has got me so spoiled I can't even go to Baskin Robins.

I love good ice cream. When I was living in Austin I discovered Blue Bell, I think it was initially their cookies'n'cream. Great stuff. Also liked their banana pudding flavor as well as their vanilla bean, which was awesome. They have Blue Bell in the stores here in KC................bastards.

Well, in middle age, ice cream has become an evil temptress- very naughty, a very high price to pay fat-wise. I have to limit my intake, but I'd still rather eat GOOD ice cream once a month than eat that crappy fat-free stuff every day. When I read the label (like on B+J's or Haagen-Das) it just about makes me freak. We've discussed this before, but those little pints are supposed to be like 2 or 3 servings. Bullshit. It's ONE serving. Unfortunately that ends up being your saturated fat intake for something like a month.

We do go out to the local frozen custard hang every now and then, but at home it's usually Healthy Choice. Yippee. :party::rmad:

You young flat-bellied whippersnappers enjoy it now, 'cause you'll have to lay off it later. <_<

Jim, regarding ice cream-induced stomach aches, are you maybe a little lactose-intolerant? Sometimes that's what causes that kind of reaction.

EDIT: I meant to also mention two other favorites- home-made ice cream (strawberry rocks)and italian ices, the latter being minimally naughty.

Edited by Free For All

EDIT: I meant to also mention two other favorites- home-made ice cream (strawberry rocks)and italian ices, the latter being minimally naughty.

Mmmmmm....I cannot get enough of premium gelato. You guys have seen Parmalat milk, before, right? Parmalat is Italy's biggest food company and they sell this milk that comes in boxes you can store forever in your pantry before opening, and it doesn't spoil. (The company is also involved in an Enron-level scandal right now.) Anyway, Parmalat also runs gelato places that are unbelievable, but there are only a few locations, most in South America, one in Australia....and one on Miami Beach, about 25 minutes from my house. I can't WAIT 'till I go home for spring break. The fruit flavors are like edible heaven.

A Breyers flavor I just discovered under their "no sugar added" line (feel less guilty eating this) is Chocolate Caramel. Now I don't care for caramel that much and low fat ice cream usually tastes lousy. But the caramel brought out the richness of the chocolate. This thread's making me hungry!

Hey, does anybody know of an ice cream band that has GRAPE as a flavor??  ;)

Red Grape Sorbet

• 2 cups red grape juice
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • Juice of 2 lemons

Heat 1 cup grape juice with sugar. Bring to boil. Cool, then mix in rest of grape juice and lemon juice. Refrigerate. When completely cold, freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Edited by BFrank

I showed my wife Rooster's post with the Girl Scout cookie ice cream yesterday, and she demanded a carton of it, so we picked up the Samoas flavor. I didn't think much of it. It was just vanilla ice cream with chocolate swirls and bits of Samoas in it. There wasn't enough cookie in it. <_<

• 5 months later...
Guest Chaney

As a guest was reading this topic... REGISTER AND POST, DAMMIT!! ^_^

Anyone else notice that the traditional half-gallon has become (with some and probably a soon to be growing number of companies) the 1.75 gallon?

"Honey? Could you pick up 1.75 gallons of rocky road?"

Is nothing sacred?

:rolleyes:

Funny, but I avoid Breyers. I find it too watery--let it melt and you will see how diluted that cream is. Häagen-Dazs is far superior, IMO, but nothing beats the ice cream one can get in the country--I grew up on Danish ice cream (no air pumped into it), so I guess I'm spoiled.

....and I believe Haagen Dazs is actually an American company (not that it matters :) ).