Good San Francisco area record shops?

Hank

I'm heading out to San Francisco tomorrow with the family for a week-long visit and was hoping to check out some cd/record shops in the area. Other than Amoeba, which I've read elsewhere on this board is phasing out its jazz section, does anyone have any recommendations?

i've only been to san fran 1 time (around 1992). if i remember correctly there were some great stores in the castro district.

there was a tower, but there were also about 5 used stores in a 1-2 block area.

there was 1 store (the name escapes me) that was 1 of the best stores i've ever been to.

here was in a small center next to a gym.

nothing was very well organized, but he had stacks and stacks of used cd's.

my wife stood outside and watch all the gorgeous guys go in and out of the gym, while i searched the stacks for about 45 minutes.

at the time we did not know it was the predominant gay area in san fran.

i was just looking for the record stores.

it wasn't until my wife noticed that we were the only male/female couple in sight that it dawned on us.

we didn't care, but it was an unusual experience to be the minority in a population.

Amoeba records in the Haight (and on Haight Street) is good. Didn't know they were dumping jazz. Not sure exactly where it is on Haight. Also, Rasputin's has a shop on Powell and Ellis, a block from the cable car turnaround. There's a Virgin on Stockton and Market (about two blocks from Rasputin's). Not cheap but sometimes they have good sales. If you belong to the SF Jazz Festival, you get a 10% discount.

The weather is really great now. Have fun.

There are a few Streetlight's in the City... I know of one on Market near Castro and one on 24th Street, I believe which is in the Now Valley district...you can't miss it, its wedged in between the Castro and the Mission! ;)

I don't think Amoeba is getting rid of its jazz section completely...they might just be moving into another part of the store. However the way it has been set up, its in the quiet part of the store so you can browse the rack and racks of vinyl and cd's without the crunch they have in the Hip Hop section or the Pop sections. But the place is massive, its in what used to be the Haight Street bowling alley, so you can imagine the size. The Hollywood store is even larger. I almost pooped my pants when I first walked in.

You can also check out Rasputins records...they have a store right by the Virgin megastore off Market street downtown.

Wow, thanks very much for the replies! A wealth of info--I knew there'd be a good list:

Groove Yard in Oakland

Amoeba records in the Haight

Rasputin's on Powell and Ellis (Rickety elevator up to the fourth floor. I'd start there.)

Streetlight Records in San Jose (don't know if I'll get there)

also Streetlights, one on Market near Castro and one on 24th Street (is this a local chain?)

and

There's a Virgin on Stockton and Market!!! (I'll keep an eye out)

I'll copy this and take it with me. I forgot about the S.F. jazz fest. I see the Ornette Coleman Quartet is playing there Saturday the 20th, the day I leave :(

Edited by Hank

The Streetlight Records in Noe Valley is pretty good. Take Castro Street away from Market, over the hill, and turn left on 24th. It'll be on the right, across the street (diagonally) from the Bell Market. There's an even better Streetlight in the town of Santa Cruz, if you're ranging that far. They devote a lot of space to jazz, and they're right on the downtown main street (South Pacific Ave I believe), NOT near the ocean. It's a local micro-chain, only four stores as far as I know.

If you want to go outside of SF at all, you should really check out Telegraph Ave in Berkeley. Lots of stores there, including the original Amoeba and Rasputins. Hours of browsing, and BART takes you right there.

At the SF Amoeba they said they're just moving their jazz and classical, not eliminating them. (And they'll be closed Monday, the 15th, for that reason.) They're right near the intersection of Haight & Stanyon streets. Haight ends at Stanyon, actually, which borders the end of Golden Gate Park (the main part, not the panhandle). Right at the corner of Haight & Stanyon is a McDonald's----Amoeba is right behind it (used to be a bowling alley). You really should check it out; the Amoeba, not the McDonald's.

Hope you have a great time! :tup

If you want to go outside of SF at all, you should really check out Telegraph Ave in Berkeley. Lots of stores there, including the original Amoeba and Rasputins. Hours of browsing, and BART takes you right there.

Not to mention, it's a hell of a lot more interesting than a trip to San Jose anyway! :g