Autobiography or biography recommendations

On 7/11/2019 at 10:30 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

Another one I have always been intrigued about is the "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes" book by Timme Rosenkrantz but during the past several years I have never come across a decently priced and affordable copy. Even by Scarecrow yardsticks this goes for insane prices, even secondhand. Came across excerpts from the book accessible online on google.books. Fascinating insights into the swing era. Those who like the Dicky Wells book should appreciate that one too.

I was recently interested in purchasing a copy, but the prices are indeed insane. I wonder if the book is available in public libraries. It is unfortunately not available on the Internet Archive (where you can "borrow" books and read them online).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, hopkins said:

I was recently interested in purchasing a copy, but the prices are indeed insane. I wonder if the book is available in public libraries. It is unfortunately not available on the Internet Archive (where you can "borrow" books and read them online).

I'm glad I got a review copy of it when it was published. It's worth the read.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:14 AM, duaneiac said:

I keep hoping that that book will eventually see the light of day.  In the meantime, there is also this outstanding related biography to enjoy:

514C8A43B2L.jpg

I learned that Iola Brubeck's book wasn't suitable for publishing, it wasn't fleshed out with the kind of anecdotes and background that a biography needs. It was a family decision.

Regarding the availability of "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes" through a public library, my local library, Bethlehem Public Library, takes special requests for books that are not available to it through the regional library system it is a part of. Indeed, I made a special request for "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes" within the last year and was able to take it out on loan for a specified period with no chance for renewals.  This is something that I have done for other books not available in our regional library system.  In such instances, I check WorldCat.org for the availability of the desired book.  Worldcat will show if a desired book is available and where based on proximity to your location (I understand Worldcat can search worldwide).  This presents an alternative to the special loan request. That is, you might go to the closest source that has your desired book and take the book out directly from that source. In the case of "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes", a copy was available at a college library 11 miles from my home and that library would have loaned me the book based on my local library card (or a state library card). I was just too lazy to do so.  Of course, I could have read the book at that college library. 

2 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

Regarding the availability of "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes" through a public library, my local library, Bethlehem Public Library, takes special requests for books that are not available to it through the regional library system it is a part of. Indeed, I made a special request for "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes" within the last year and was able to take it out on loan for a specified period with no chance for renewals.  This is something that I have done for other books not available in our regional library system.  In such instances, I check WorldCat.org for the availability of the desired book.  Worldcat will show if a desired book is available and where based on proximity to your location (I understand Worldcat can search worldwide).  This presents an alternative to the special loan request. That is, you might go to the closest source that has your desired book and take the book out directly from that source. In the case of "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes", a copy was available at a college library 11 miles from my home and that library would have loaned me the book based on my local library card (or a state library card). I was just too lazy to do so.  Of course, I could have read the book at that college library. 

Good to know. Thanks.

On 7/12/2024 at 12:55 PM, cliffpeterson said:

I cannot imagine any library in our greater area having that book for loan. But if so, your method would have prompted me to take the entire book and run it through my office photocopier for "permanent reference". I did so fairly often in the 80s (in those times when internet and worldwide purchase opportunities were unheard of) with long-OOP or inaccessible foreign books. I've replaced some of them with originals later on but my (photocopied) copies of Ira Gitler's "Jazz Masters of the 40s" (double-sided photocopies tidily cut and stapled into a homemade paperback copy) and Gunther Schuller's "The Swing Era" (both taken out on loan from our local "Amerika Haus" - when that still existed) are still on my shelves. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 7/10/2024 at 8:39 AM, hopkins said:

Shortly after publication, I managed to borrow a copy (Doug Ramsey's Take Five Desmond bio) through interlibrary loan. Probably came from the Binghamton, NY area (which is in my "Four County Library System"). But I just checked and it no longer seems to be available.

It is well worth a read, and also a very attractive coffee-table size production.

• 3 weeks later...

Big Beat Steve: "I cannot imagine any library in our greater area having that book for loan".

Most of the books that I have made special requests for through my local library have been loaned by university/college libraries, not public libraries. But, again, WorldCat.org will show you what entities have a copy of your desired book within x number of miles.  

Just now, I checked Worldcat.org for "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes". The first 19 hits are all for university/college libraries. The 20th is the New York Public Library on 42nd street. There are 333 hits in total worldwide.  There is a search function that allows you to search only public libraries. OF those 333 sites, 4 are U.S. public libraries. 22 hits are for copies outside the U.S. That includes 2 in Germany, 1 in Botswana and a couple in Australia. 

The Teddi Reig autobiography is an example of a book that I read because it was available as a special loan, 

11 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

Big Beat Steve: "I cannot imagine any library in our greater area having that book for loan".

Most of the books that I have made special requests for through my local library have been loaned by university/college libraries, not public libraries. But, again, WorldCat.org will show you what entities have a copy of your desired book within x number of miles.  

Just now, I checked Worldcat.org for "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes". The first 19 hits are all for university/college libraries. The 20th is the New York Public Library on 42nd street. There are 333 hits in total worldwide.  There is a search function that allows you to search only public libraries. OF those 333 sites, 4 are U.S. public libraries. 22 hits are for copies outside the U.S. That includes 2 in Germany, 1 in Botswana and a couple in Australia. 

The Teddi Reig autobiography is an example of a book that I read because it was available as a special loan, 

Thanks, Cliff and Rostasi, for these infos.
I was actually thinking of a regional or academic/University library. I've had reader cards for both of our local ones but have not been there so long that I probably would have to sign up again from scratch.
So I guess I'll have to see how I can contact the two GERMAN sites (shown by Rostasi) via our library.

Actually, the other day I was on the verge of springing for an affordable original Danish copy of Rosenkrantz' book available online. But in the end I decided against it - not only because reading Danish is a bit more difficult for me than Swedish, at which I am fairly advanced. But what is more, the English version seems to have been expanded considerably over the Danish original, judging by the page counts.

BTW, Cliff, ;) on a (tongue-in-cheek) side note - that "other" autobiography you mention is by Teddy Reig, not Teddi.  That "Teddi" might (involuntarily yet incorrectly) allude to a different sex (e.g. Teddi King :D).