Impulse (Verve LPR) Reissues of March 9

Brad

Nobody seems to have mentioned these that also came out on Tuesday with the RVGs:

Gloria Coleman - Soul Sisters

Archie Shepp - The Cry of the People

Clark Terry - Chico O'Farrell - Spanish Rice

Yusef Lateff - The Golden Flute

I picked up The Golden Flute and have been listening to it at work. Even if you don't flute, this is good. There's a lot of Yusef on tenor.

I really wanted to get Soul Sisters but somebody beat me to it at Borders so I'll have to order it.

Others coming down the line include Tony Scott - self titled, and Stuff Smith - Cat on a Hot Fiddle.

I have the Lateef on vinyl and it's a killer - really wonderful album, happy to upgrade soon as my LP has some surface noise. All the Lateef Impulse! dates NEED to be on CD - and as I've been saying for years would have made a great Mosaic box.

I bought the Mel Brown, Clark Terry, Yusef Lateef, Gloria Coleman and Archie Shepp, and have been enjoying them all. The biggest surprise for me thus far has been the Mel Brown. If you like greasy music, pick this one up! The Terry is the lightweight in the bunch, for me, with some of the tracks being ruined a bit by lame vocals.

I think the nicest thing about this round of releases is that we get to see a different side of Impulse. When I think of Impulse, I generally think of John Coltrane, Archie Shepp, Pharoah Sanders and the like. This round of LPR's shows that Impulse had a lot more going for it than just the avant garde. :tup

The Yusef cd is one of the best cds I've heard lately. I don't have a lot of his cds and after I listened to this one, I'm asking myself why. His playing is just so strong. The rhythm section are top rate. They're killers man. Hugh Lawson? Yes! For those who don't like flute, give it a try. First there is not that much flute on here and his approach to playing the instrument is a sax conception. This gets a strong HELL YEAH!

I've located a copy of Soul Sisters and I'm on my way soon to pick it up.

Edited by Brad

I've got the Lateef on the way, and I'm looking forward to it. I must admit, my only exposure to his music is with Grant Green, but as I'm one of those oddballs that actually likes flute in jazz, I'm sure this will be enjoyable!

Jazzmoose, I hope you do not find this response insulting, but if you have not listened to much Yusef Lateef, then you have missed hearing one of the great instrumentalists in modern jazz. His work in the fifties and through the sixties is marvelous, and I do not think that he ever received his proper due for the exhilerating music he gave us jazz fans during that period. May I suggest that you sample many of the clips available on CDUniverse under his name, in particular this one below, which demonstrates his prodigious talent on oboe. (Stick to the pre-1970 albums). You are going to love "Golden Flute" but the two volumes of "Live At Pep's" is also exciting music. Unfortunately, he, like so many others, discovered "spirituality" in the seventies (Paul Horn, anyone?) and his later works, up until today, have been, IMHO, tepid and boring, especially in comparison to what had come before.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...rt=180705161&st

Edited by garthsj

I've been a Lateef (born Bill Evans) fan since the early seventies or so when I picked up a two lp "Best of the Impule years" on ABC. That led me to the Savoys and Atlantics and Riversides and. .. . I love the Savoys the best, they're just special, and I wish the remainder would hurry up and come out on cd, they deserve the treatment.

Besides what' been mentioned, this one is good: Louis Hayes featuring Yusef Lateef and Nat Adderley on Vee-Jay.  Not sure how available it is, however.

I have this one for sale...$8 bucks to US or Canada. PM if you like, it is a good one.

Like Lon, I am chomping at the bit for the rest of the Lateef Savoys.

As Lon and some others know, some of the Savoy Lateefs were issued in a 2 CD set a couple years back - and for once, Orrin Keepnews kept the dates issued complete, not truncated! He did, however, never get around to getting the other Lateef Savoys out...

To make up the rest, if you are into vinyl, there was a good 2 LP set on Savoy called MORNING...I'm not 100% sure but I think if you have this and the CD twofer, you'd have all his leader stuff on Savoy. I'd be pleasantly surprised if someone corrected me about that, since it would mean more Lateef to hear!

All the Savoys are indeed great - and I'd give the material on MORNING the nod as his best work, which makes it all the more galling that it's not out on CD.

Edited by DrJ

• 2 weeks later...

I just opened a CD Universe pack and it contained "Sweet Honey Bee", which was phenomenal, and I have just put the spin on Lateef's "Golden Flute". Well I gotta say, regardless of the fact that the Pearson is from vinyl, that in comparison to the other RVGs we've been getting and considering that the Lateef was recorded right in the Van Gelder Studios in '66 that this Impluse makes those RVGs sound like hooey! It is just phenomenal. Absolutley perfect!!! And for $7.19 :wub:

And now track #8 "Head Hunters" is right off of "Sweet Honey Bee"... man how'd they do that? ^_^

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Besides what' been mentioned, this one is good: Louis Hayes featuring Yusef Lateef and Nat Adderley on Vee-Jay. Not sure how available it is, however.

If you are lucky, you can find the reissue of this coupled with the Buddy DeFranco "Blues Bag" album where he plays bass clarinet. 2x the treat!

I have been curious about that Tony Scott. If I remember, that one features an odd combo of instruments--organ, oud, dumbek, and an early appearance of Colin Walcott on sitar.

B00014AUSW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg