What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

Magma - 2: 1001° Centigrades

Magma_1001_Centigrades.jpg.c52e43646a7635da8aa169ab2a080a69.jpg

I am by no means a fan of classic era Magma, which seems to me to represent the worst of every known kind of music. But I do occasionally stream their first two records, which, along with Canterbury bands like Soft Machine, are among the more successful attempts to merge jazz and European style progressive rock. 

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, rostasi said:

If not the first two albums, then which albums do you consider their classic era?

My understanding is that its most "beloved" record is their third, Mekanïk Destruktïẁ Kommandöh, when Vander's excessive "Zeuhl" sound really gets going, and then the records that follow through to the end of the 1970s.

That seems to be the period that Magma fans like the most. 

I had thought that the first two records were regarded as the albums when Magma was finding its feet and hadn't yet developed its signature sound, which may also be why I like them.

I should add that all of this is just going by the internet. I have never met a real life Magma fan.

I've been streaming a lot of prog rock this past fortnight, listening to records that seemed legendarily inaccessible to me as a teenager, but which are now easily available.

Mostly I am being reminded that I don't like progressive rock very much at all, but there have been lots of cool finds at the same time, and particularly at the jazzier end of things.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Prog Rock's greatest achievement was surely Punk Rock...

May well be. 

My six year old is currently requesting the Sex Pistols and the Clash a lot, whilst we are driving. Can't say I like that music much either. To be honest I might prefer it if he were to request Van der Graaf Generator.

4 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

My six year old is currently requesting the Sex Pistols and the Clash a lot, whilst we are driving. Can't say I like that music much either. To be honest I might prefer it if he were to request Van der Graaf Generator.

😂😂😂 ....

Henry Cow (feat members of Slapp Happy) - In Praise of Learning

HenryCow_AlbumCover_InPraiseOfLearning.jpg.bb589f6470ced0ac421ed6bb07e7f982.jpg

That is after finishing a salutary morning listen to Cannibal Corpse's Vile, the cover of which I shall refrain from posting, partly so as not to upset and partly so as not to end up on some sort of government list.