Blue Note's TONE POET series.

Dmitry

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

But those Pathés were water in a desert back then, to me at least 

Another fan of Tone Poets here.

Yes, indeed they were. I remember seeing the first batch at the RFH around 84/85 after a Miles Davis concert and buying 'Inner Urge' on the spot. These titles were literally mythical in the UK at that point unless you could snag scarce UA imports some years earlier. Heck, I was even desperate enough to buy 'Sixth Sense' as a Liberty deletion cassette (still have it).

The current vinyl reissue situation on Blue Note (plus related UA and Pacific Jazz releases) is literally a plethora of riches.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally ended up getting promo copies of two Tone Poet LPs.  While the pressings are better than most new 180 gram LPs, i don’t hear a warmer sound than the CD versions I have owned for years. I don’t have any interest in spending $35* per LP for music that I already have.

4 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I finally ended up getting promo copies of two Tone Poet LPs.  While the pressings are better than most new 180 gram LPs, i don’t hear a warmer sound than the CD versions I have owned for years. I don’t have any interest in spending $35* per LP for music that I already have.

It's because they are promos. If you had paid full price they would sound really much better... 😉

Thanks, everyone, for your tips on these. Very much appreciated.

9 hours ago, David Ayers said:

It's because they are promos. If you had paid full price they would sound really much better... 😉

Thanks, everyone, for your tips on these. Very much appreciated.

LOL! 

At least the Tone Poet LPs are a better value than the dreadful RSD 2024 Gearbox LP that was supposedly Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Instead, it sounded like a pickup group centered around Andy Bey and the pressing was pure shit, with lots of loud pops and a few skips due to the extremely poor quality of manufacturing, likely due to not allow the LP to cool sufficiently.

Edited by Ken Dryden

Gearbox did a good job on the Tubby Hayes Fontana box. I have pretty well all of the original LPs and think that the sonics of the box holds up fairly nicely in comparison.

I'll have to give that Blakey LP another listen. From memory the recording quality is not great and yes, it was a bit of an informal live session and lacking that usual 'Jazz Messengers' discipline.