Fats Waller JSP Vol. 6

Larry Kart

10 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks @mikeweil @jazzbo @romualdo .

My Dad saw Fats Waller live sometime around the mid- to late-1930s.  He said there were three full bottles of Orange Crush soda sitting on the piano.  Between tunes, Fats drained one of the bottles in one breath, set it down, drank the second in one breath, set it down, and did the same with the third.  He then went on to sing the next song, completely unaffected.

your father?!!

13 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yep!  My Dad also crossed paths with Ellington, and co-wrote a tune recorded by Ellington in 1938.  

I just didn't picture your dad being of that age after seeing pics of you with Dan - you look too young

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Wow!  That's heavy.  What tune?

An admittedly not-so-great tune called "You Gave Me the Gate," with lead vocals by Ivy Anderson.  Duke and the publisher added their names onto the songwriting credits, which show 4 authors.  In reality it was written by 2. 

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

I just didn't picture your dad being of that age after seeing pics of you with Dan - you look too young

I'm told I look young for my age.  I just celebrated a milestone birthday.  So I'm probably older than you think, and my Dad was older than I thought!  He was a WWII-era guy.

I have the whole series too.  It's definitely very fun music and I never tire of listening to his stride piano, even on some of the novelty stuff they had him play.  Truly brilliant guy.  I wish RCA would take a look at remastering it.  This version was done quite a while back and I wonder if it couldn't be improved on quite a bit with newer techniques. They did a few tunes for a volume of the Centennial Collection and they are great!

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

On 8/3/2024 at 5:11 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

An admittedly not-so-great tune called "You Gave Me the Gate," with lead vocals by Ivy Anderson.  Duke and the publisher added their names onto the songwriting credits, which show 4 authors.  In reality it was written by 2. 

I'm told I look young for my age.  I just celebrated a milestone birthday.  So I'm probably older than you think, and my Dad was older than I thought!  He was a WWII-era guy.

I think I will be listening to this tune with totally "new" ears from now on. ;)
And belated birthday wishes to you. ;)