Thoughts on your Mosaic Select purchases

I've got them all except for the Chambers (had everything there; that's why I won't get the Reese). My favorites are the Amy, Carmell Jones, Benny Green and Patton. I'm not that wild about the Moncur; that's probably my least favorite. The recent Brookmeyer I'm also mixed about. I'm really glad to see the Pacific material coming out. The best that I've heard so far is the Amy, especially the vibes session. I'm grateful that I have the Amy.

I really liked "Blue Rondo", but was not thrilled by "Air Raid".  I realize that the music on this set must be difficult to categorize, but how much of it would you say resembles the former more than the latter?

"Air Raid" is not one of my favorites, either.  It's kind of hard to say how much of the set resembles that tune, but there are a few other tunes that also have that free-form, dark, haunting quality.  "Evolution", "Gnostic", and "Nomadic" come to mind.

Edward and Uncle Skid,

I urge both of you to really listen to "Air Raid". It's truly some of the most amazing ensemble playing on record that these ears have heard. Tony Williams' dialogue w/ each soloist is nothing short of stunning. The way he adjusts his approach to Moncur, McLean, Morgan and Hutcherson just blows me away every time. He plays all these subtle rhythmic and melodic things that really push each player into some very inspired playing.

I hear a lot of records where the players are playing for themselves and/or at each other but rarely have I heard playing that is so communicative. That kind of listening to one another is true mastery. Hard to believe Tony was 17 or 18 years old to boot!

Anyway sorry to get so over enthusiastic about this track but I think if you isolate this one and give it a few listens you'll find some beautiful things going on.

Edited by bluesForBartok

I urge both of you to really listen to "Air Raid". It's truly some of the most amazing ensemble playing on record that these ears have heard.

:tup

I've got it on right now, and I'm listening for the things you mentioned. I really appreciate advice like this -- there's a bunch of songs on the Moncur set that I just don't "get" yet, but on an almost subconscious level, I feel like I'm just beginning to understand them better.

It's one of those "I know this is good stuff, but I don't know why" kind of things. Observations like yours are one of the things I really love about this board. Thanks!

Funny. Over the weekend I played the entire Moncur Select. I must have been in the right mood, because the whole thing just spoke to me. It's not ususally the type of music I enjoy the most - so it was a little surprising.

I think the best thing about the Select series is that it's really giving me the chance to expand my boundaries by getting exposure to some wonderful music that ordinarily wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Funny.  Over the weekend I played the entire Moncur Select.  I must have been in the right mood, because the whole thing just spoke to me.  It's not ususally the type of music I enjoy the most - so it was a little surprising.

What's up with this? I had the same experience over the weekend. Is there something in the air? Does the Moncur Select sound better after it has aged on the shelf for about a year?

I didn't know what to play. My hand moved to the Moncur Select. I popped the first disk in the drive... and have been enjoying the music ever since.

Weird. :wacko:

I tried to revive the Grachan Moncur Select thread. >located here<

It may get revived and it may not.

Edited by wesbed

• 2 weeks later...

I got the first four Selects as they came out. (Have been biding my time on the others.) Very tough to choose between the Carmell Jones, Bennie Green, and Randy Weston sets. Great music which I didn't have before; fantastic, high-quality sets that have gotten lots of playing time at my house. The Moncur set is the joker in the pack (for me)----it's the only one that had significant material that I already owned (two Jackie McLean albums) and wouldn't you know, the stuff I liked the best was from the McLean albums I ALREADY had. The sessions from Moncur's own albums didn't do very much for me. Although, reading some of these posts, perhaps I should pull it out and give it another try. It seems that leaving it on the shelf for a year might be just the thing...

Of the new Selects, I'm most interested in the Brookmeyer and Reece. I have very little of the Brookmeyer and something about it just says "Yes!" I only have Comin' On by Reece and like it a lot. (Well, actually a friend made me a tape of Blues In Trinity, but hey, tapes get lost easily, y'know?) I've convinced myself not to get the Curtis Amy because I've already got Katanga and everybody always says that's by far his finest album. One must sooner or later get selective about Selects.

I have 6 of 'em.....while it's the one set I would have killed for 2 years ago, I'll probably pass on the Reece because I have all the material.......love the Brookmeyer......and the Carmell...........hate all the strings on disc 2 Cooper/Shank (otherwise a nice set).

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen