Hampton Hawes

catesta

Ok, to revive this top if only temporarily, what are your thoughts on "Here And Now"? I've seen it get some mention in this lengthy thread but no serious comments. I guess why I'm curious is that I can get this rather cheaply from Newbury Comics, especially since it's OOP. I already own a good number of Hampton's catalogue and this is one of the few earlier dates with the exception of the "All Night Sessions" that I don't already own. Input is appreciated.

One of the reasons I included it in my group of favorite HH recordings is that I think Hawes is one of those players that excelled at interpreting the pop hits of the 60's (I would include Grant Green and Stanley Turrentine as two others who come to mind who got the most out of that music). I happen to enjoy that stuff more than some, because I grew up hearing that music on radio and tv. Anyway, I think Hamp's playing was in very good form at that time ('65 in this case), and for me this recording has stood the test of time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nice thing about Hampton Hawes is that, unlike a lot of pianists his age on both coasts, he didn't shut his ears off after a certain period. The last recording he made, As Long As There's Music, is one of my favorite b/c his harmony had matured and he had listened to some players younger then himself and put what he could use in a funnel while still being Hampton Hawes. He never lost the blues or swing, just kept growing.

• 6 months later...
My two favorites of his are the duets with Charlie Haden, As Long as There's Music, and the incredible High in the Sky trio recording (reissued on Fresh Sounds).
As Long as There's Music is beautiful. I love that Hawes opened his ears to younger players and allowed himself to grow. He didn't stay stuck in the '50s or bebop. His roots there were already strong. He just was a developing musician til the end. Edited by fasstrack