Arcam amps for '04

Son-of-a-Weizen

Over the weekend a guy in a hi-fi shop was telling me something about a new Arcam integrated amp that is supposed to hit the streets this year.....not wildly overpriced and a real plus up on the Diva A85. He said it hasn't even shown up on the Arcam website yet (which is true)........anyone heard anything?

Do you mean the A90 , its slightly more powerful version of the A85 and has in true Arcam tradition more knobs and inputs than you are likely to need. Capable of taking an on board surround decoder etc. I passed on its soft sound and went for a Sugden A21a Class A amp (designed years ago but it belted its opponents)

Class A is the way to go indeed. And tubular. I can't enjoy solid state the same way after a decade or so of tube listening.

Here's my recommendation! My newest amps, monoblocks with no preamp needed: B)

se34m1.jpg

or, the Integrated:

integrst.jpg

Decware tube amp page

These are for true conservatives. . . just five to ten watts per channel! Low power is the best.

Clunky, that might be the one......although that model came out in late '03. Perhaps the sales rep simply got his wires crossed? I dunno. You're right about all the 'bells & whistles'....that I don't need! In any event, I'm looking for a suitable amp to marry up to the YBA CD Special that I just picked up. I've thought of going tube, in fact a guy called me last week who had seen someone trade in a Conrad Johnson MV-50 & PV-8 (nice to have spies out & about!!) -- might go have a look at them. The thing I don't want to have happen though, is to pick up a pair like that and then have to turn right around and drop $300 on new tubes. What about warming up those tubes, Lon? Does it take a good hour or so....or do you always leave the system on?

Yes, and most tubes aren't that expensive. I can retube my amps for about 30 dollars. Of course I can get BETTER tubes and pay more (I do for the input tubes) and get phenomenal sound. Conrad Johnsons are okay amps. I think these Decwares are better amps. These amps are the best bang for the buck I've seen in audio. You have to match them with the right speakers, but their Torii model for instance (about 12 watts per channel) should power most any speaker to loud levels in a medium sized room. . . .

Stefan is exactly right: new tubes take a little time to sound their best, but once broken in, you can start listening in about thirty seconds. The amp will continue to improve sonically til it is fully warmed up, in about 45 minutes to an hour, and then will improve further if you can leave it on for a few days, but most persons can't or won't.

You have to match them with the right speakers, but their Torii model for instance (about 12 watts per channel) should power most any speaker to loud levels in a medium sized room. . . .

I'm using Advent Larges that I picked up in '79 and had re-built 3 or 4 years ago. Beautiful sound....I'd like to keep 'em.

Agreed. I have tried a lot of audio gear though, and have the gall to have an opinion. I've heard Conrad Johnsons, Jolidas, EICOs, Dyancos, Fishers, Carys and a few others in the tube world. Have heard a lot of solid state stuff. My wife used to work in an audio shop for a few years. It was nice to be able to take home stuff and to listen in the shop to stuff. Ironically the stuff from the small cottage industry and build it yourself items I've heard smoke a lot of brands unless you spend big big bucks!

Ironically the stuff from the small cottage industry and build it yourself items I've heard smoke a lot of brands unless you spend big big bucks!

[Almost] a case in point -

my current amp-speakers combination DESTROYS the set-up I had until just a few months ago, all at at a cost of 5.7% of the previous set-up.

If I didn't listen to it every day, I wouldn't believe it was possible..

These are for true conservatives. . . just five to ten watts per channel! Low power is the best.

I´m looking for such a low power tube amp for my ... headphones. I just won a AKG K1000, which are "earspeakers" that need to be connected to the loudspeaker outputs of an amplifier and sound best with a dedicated tube amp.

Unfortunately, all tube amp recommendations below $500 I´ve found so far concern small US brands which are not available in Europe.

Well, it was all coincidences..

Up until last November I was running Acurus 150 wpc ss amp with B&W nautilus 804s. Then on a whim I bought a pair of 1972 Klipsch Heresys at a junk barn.

When I hooked them up to the amp I was pleasantly surprised by the sound, velvety mids, precise highs, bass was lacking in umph and definition which isn't surprising considering they only go down to about 50-55Hz. But at the same time bass was very warm and natural comparing to B&W's.

Then, a couple of weeks ago I dragged in a Bogen rp60, a 60wpc receiver from ca1960 that I bought in a used cd joint.

When I hooked up the horns to that thing it simply blew my mind.

I'll have to have the Bogen tuned-up and restored, new capacitors, tubes calibrated, etc,etc; luckily it's 9/10 cosmetically.

And the sound - oh, man!

Once it's all finished, everyone's invited.

I've been on the fence regarding DecWare for way too long now, but I have good reasons -- I bought a place (on the waterfront in DC!!), and I have this kick ass HH Scott 230C tube amp that has blown away everything else I have listened to (quite a bit, because I sampled a friend's massive tube stereo collection -- he just needed someone to play them once in a while). But maybe if I can sell some art work this year (my goal), maybe I take finally take the plunge by getting a Select..... :g

I've been on the fence regarding DecWare for way too long now, but I have good reasons -- I bought a place (on the waterfront in DC!!), and I have this kick ass HH Scott 230C tube amp that has blown away everything else I have listened to (quite a bit, because I sampled a friend's massive tube stereo collection -- he just needed someone to play them once in a while). But maybe if I can sell some art work this year (my goal), maybe I take finally take the plunge by getting a Select..... :g

Just wait 'till summer when they change the flight pattern across the river from you at Reagan national airport and you can't hear a thing with all that racket -- sure hope that H.H. Scott has the juice to drive the equivalent of a small herd of VW Beetles, 'cause you'll need it!!! :excited:;)

Amir, The speakers in the photo aren't mine...but I do own four of them, two of which look exactly like these ones with silver frame and all. I refoamed all 4 of them. Not exactly quite sure about the efficieny rating of these large jobbers (do you?)....but I'm guessing 88 or 89dB. Looks as though the Decware integrated performs best with 92+.