Post a pic

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/23/2024 at 8:26 AM, JSngry said:

Yeah, he doesn't look like a real clarinetist, holding it like that.

Well, he could've still been a "real" clarinetist, but maybe not a well-known one.
Donzelli has this knack for capturing situations that give some push toward
wanting to know a bit more about the stories behind the photos.

Usually, they're excellent just on their own.

IMG_4128.jpeg.b7cd5260fa98384af861fed10e97ef78.jpeg

Edited by rostasi

On 8/24/2024 at 12:30 PM, jazzbo said:

May be an image of 7 people, saxophone and piano

who is this with Duke ? 

On 8/24/2024 at 6:04 AM, JSngry said:

6643214f.jpg

I can´t help but somehow all sportsmen in the world look about the same, this is a proto type. I mean I don´t know nothin about no sports , I ´m to much a loner if I dont perform music, so I don´t have it with things with crowds. 

But the one who told me that they all look the same or you recognize them from the face was my wife. If she sees a pic of a man or sees him in reality and doesn´t like how he looks like, she just says "look´s like a fotbalist = the word we have for football players......) 

I learned this interesting (to me) trivia from Geddy Lee's autobiography, My Effin' Life.  Apparently one of his best friends growing up was Oscar Peterson's son Oscar Jr.  They were so close that Oscar Jr was his best man when Geddy got married in 1976.

xvmTHYG.jpeg

On 8/31/2024 at 10:46 PM, sonnymax said:

saxophonist-gene-ammons-with-his-wife-mi

Gene Ammons with his wife Mildred and Sonny Stitt

I like those hip photos of musicians in the 40´s or so. Didn´t know that Gene Ammons was so slim. I always had thought he was a very very heavy man, a bit Mingus-Like.  I had heard he was on drugs, but how you can be on drugs if you have such a nice lady with you ? 
Sonny Stitt.....I would not have recognized him, he looks more like Monk....

38 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Isn't Stitt on the left with glasses? This is Ammons:

158624193.jpg

Hai Mike !

I never saw youth pics of them. I think I saw Stitt first in the mid 70´s in a quintet with Diz, it was the then modern pianoless Diz quintet or quartet with g, el-b., dr., and they played some fast bop tunes, heaven on earth for me to learn more about this more difficult to play style. 

I had one or two Bird and same as much Diz  records , Bird was a kind of James Dean for us youngsters then and while Dizzy still looked much younger then he was, we didn´t know who is that old old and gray man who plays like if all the facts that Bird died in 1955 are wrong and this is Bird 😄

By the way: Did you get my pn ? 

1 minute ago, Gheorghe said:

By the way: Did you get my pn ? 

Yes I did. Sorry to say I do not listen to much jazz right now as I started work on a book project about early 18th century music that takes up most of my listening time. I will get back to it later when I need a break. 😅