Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep!

I like it, but then again, I like most of Coleman's things. His rhythms are like ping-pong balls that keep bouncing off of uneven surfaces and his groups keep getting tighter. This is a quartet, so there's really no room to hide.

Not in anyway condoning or otherwise overlooking Coleman's personal shit show of a few years ago. But this is a good record 

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yep!

I like it, but then again, I like most of Coleman's things. His rhythms are like ping-pong balls that keep bouncing off of uneven surfaces and his groups keep getting tighter. This is a quartet, so there's really no room to hide.

Not in anyway condoning or otherwise overlooking Coleman's personal shit show of a few years ago. But this is a good record 

Thanks for the report, sounds worth a listen. I have most of his albums until a few years ago.

Yeah, that shitshow

Charlie Shavers Quartet – Girl Of My DreamsR-2452290-1284836597.jpg.cae3c1b95c7388d7e5a255a8828fd67d.jpg

Interesting thought that occured to me whilst listening to Shavers' version of Bye Bye Blackbird: did Miles Davis ever acknowledge a debt to Shavers?

There are some similarities in their tones at times, even though Miles Davis was doing something very different, and the similarities are probably played up here by Shavers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if not, given that Shavers was old guard and hardly a hip name to drop. Equally, there are plenty of ways that a trumpet player might arrive at this sort of silvery and flattened tone, given how rooted it is in blues trumpet history.

A treasure trove of classic recordings arrived here yesterday. Man, for a jazz fan like me this is a real joy of a reissue. 

The first disc is a real thrill: Bunk Johnson, a reconfiguration of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, Sidney Bechet and the famous "Midnight Session" with Louis Armstrong, Jack Teagarden and so many other jazz stars.

Sound is fantastic!

"Classic V-Disc Small Group Jazz Sessions" Mosaic Records, 11 cd set, disc 1

zzclassicvdiscsmallgr_101b.jpg