• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Revisiting this masterwork that has remained on my self unlistened to too long.

Mental Strain at Dawn: A Modern Portrait of Louis Armstrong, cd

This an exceptional recording that it is hard to believe is over thirty years old now. Exciting, in my opinion innovative, and recorded in a manner that matches the material. Every soloist seems inspired. A precursor to Allen “Wild Man Genius” Lowe’s current releases.

The drums are recorded big and hot, but that’s great because the drumming is excellent. And the lack of chordal instruments gives an open air march to the feel and sound.

Alto Saxophone – Allen Lowe (tracks: 1-8)
Bass – Jeff Fuller, Peter Askim (tracks: 9-10)
Clarinet, Bass Clarinet – Paul Austerlitz
Drums – Ray Kaczynski
Mixed By – Allen Lowe, Steve Wytas
Recorded By – Allen Lowe (tracks: 9-10), Katsuhiko Naito (tracks: 1-8)
Remix – Allen Lowe
Tenor Saxophone – Allen Lowe (tracks: 9-10), David Murray (tracks: 1-8), Loren Schoenberg (tracks: 1-8)
Transcription By, Arranged By – Allen Lowe
Trombone – John Rapson
Trumpet – Doc Cheatham (tracks: 1-8), Robert Rumbolz

Tracks 1-8 recorded April 19, 1992 at the Knitting Factory, NYC. Tracks 9-10recorded October 17, 1992 in New Haven, CT.

image.jpeg.edcdc3610c4a7b5e40a7a5b8d810962e.jpeg

This is a really interesting release. It's easy to forget that Wilkins is still only 27 and on this album the promise of his previous releases starts to be more fully realised I feel 

Also, he's a very generous leader, perhaps too much so as he's nowhere near a dominant instrument voice, his compositional voice is doing the heavy lifting here 

Well done Blue Note for getting behind him 

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

This is a really interesting release. It's easy to forget that Wilkins is still only 27 and on this album the promise of his previous releases starts to be more fully realised I feel 

Also, he's a very generous leader, perhaps too much so as he's nowhere near a dominant instrument voice, his compositional voice is doing the heavy lifting here 

Yes, I listened to this last week and will listen again. I have bought every record he has made as a leader, and most of his sideman appearances. I think he's a really talented young artist.

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

What is this? I can't read the font

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Revisiting this masterwork that has remained on my self unlistened to too long.

Mental Strain at Dawn: A Modern Portrait of Louis Armstrong, cd

This an exceptional recording that it is hard to believe is over thirty years old now. Exciting, in my opinion innovative, and recorded in a manner that matches the material. Every soloist seems inspired. A precursor to Allen “Wild Man Genius” Lowe’s current releases.

The drums are recorded big and hot, but that’s great because the drumming is excellent. And the lack of chordal instruments gives an open air march to the feel and sound.

Alto Saxophone – Allen Lowe (tracks: 1-8)
Bass – Jeff Fuller, Peter Askim (tracks: 9-10)
Clarinet, Bass Clarinet – Paul Austerlitz
Drums – Ray Kaczynski
Mixed By – Allen Lowe, Steve Wytas
Recorded By – Allen Lowe (tracks: 9-10), Katsuhiko Naito (tracks: 1-8)
Remix – Allen Lowe
Tenor Saxophone – Allen Lowe (tracks: 9-10), David Murray (tracks: 1-8), Loren Schoenberg (tracks: 1-8)
Transcription By, Arranged By – Allen Lowe
Trombone – John Rapson
Trumpet – Doc Cheatham (tracks: 1-8), Robert Rumbolz

Tracks 1-8 recorded April 19, 1992 at the Knitting Factory, NYC. Tracks 9-10recorded October 17, 1992 in New Haven, CT.

I have never listened to this. I'd be very interested in a reissue on Bandcamp. 

Re: Mental Strain at Dawn: I do things the old fashione way, obtain and listen to discs. This is out there. Recommended!

I notice it is also available on amazon music.

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

What is this? I can't read the font

That is the new Immanuel Wilkins on Blue Note, "Blues Blood."

Edited by jazzbo

The Organissimo effect at work once again. I picked up this one after somebody (HutchFan, maybe?) expressed enthusiasm for it in this thread. It’s living up to the praise and reminding me once again that the answer to the question “Can one have too much live Ellington” is “not bloody likely.”

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIiLjcuUS9Od-khhvqN