So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Ny01Mzg0LmpwZWc.jpeg

A nice 1991 studio date.

It´s strange I never saw him live though he might have been the ideal pianist for me when I was deeply in bebop piano. 
But in the CV of my wonderful trumpet player who plays in my band, it reads that he had played with Barry Harris (he also had performed with Lee Konitz !) ....

It´s interesting that Barry Harris plays on several BN-recordings sessions but it´s strange that Alfred Lion never let him do his own album. 

• Replies 83.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

In that regard, you might find an interesting detour (but just that...) of Shank's MOR World Pacific albums from the mid-60s through the very early 70s. As with most such affairs, "improvisation" is not at all a real consideration, but interpretation of a melody is, and as such a focus on tone is paramount.

I can't exactly say that I came away with a new appreciation of Bud Shank, but I can say that whatever all those hours in the studio did to burn him out, they also allowed him to fine-tune his tone to the utmost degree.

I know those records and have a soft spot for them.  Not necessarily because of Shank, but the package as a whole. Retrospectively they look less like a cash in and more like a desperate survival technique. Even more so because of the presence of a broken, toothless Chet Baker on a couple of them.

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I know those records and have a soft spot for them.  Not necessarily because of Shank, but the package as a whole. Retrospectively they look less like a cash in and more like a desperate survival technique. Even more so because of the presence of a broken, toothless Chet Baker on a couple of them.

Don't miss the final reunion of Shank & Kenton!

Dave Holland Octet “Pathways” Dare2 cd

c4d849b1784b2d8336dd9e6f8a9ee56bd7aca339

Antonio Hart – alto saxophone and flute
Chris Potter – tenor saxophone and soprano saxophone
Gary Smulyan – baritone saxophone
Alex Sipiagin – trumpet
Robin Eubanks – trombone
Steve Nelson – marimba and vibraphone
Dave Holland – double bass
Nate Smith – drums

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Lee Morgan "The Cooker" Blue Note Japan 85th Anniversary UHQCD

411cqHysmcL.jpg

This is my favourite Lee Morgan album. If I might keep only one, which would be easy since I am not a collector and play more my own music, but I would keep only this one ! 

But what means Blue Note anniverary, is that better sound or bonus tracks ..... well I have the CD, bought it when the first bunch of BN CDs came out, I think it was pre RVG as most what I had bought....

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

OS03MjEyLnBuZw.jpeg

As I got a compilation of all the Griff-Jaws stuff I never know which is which. Some of them have Monk tunes, some are live and the last ones have a completly unknown pianist called something like Fort Myers, on the others it is Junior Mance, who has a lotta technical stuff, but sometimes, especially on Monk tunes like the wonderful "Epistrophy" it´s too much, it´s like if Oscar Peterson would have had to play that tune which he sure didn´t do....