• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, rostasi said:

image.jpeg.0af7f7a80b92581d2db89b77abcc5cd0.jpeg

image.jpeg.3f40bf26b893140af601b5a27aff72f4.jpeg

Hawk is great, he was so much ahead of his time, like contemporanious other genius musicians like Lester Young, Billie Holiday and Roy Eldrige. 
I don´t know much about pre-bop music, but those four are my favourites and I love him the same like all that came after.....

14 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

👍 Yes, a really good one.

Now:

The Clef Years: Classic Albums 1952-58, Primary, 1 of 1

Bought this from amazon.ca for $11 Canadian (a bargain). Some really fine music on this 3 CD set. 

I think I also have a Flip Phillips album from Verve recordings, but I think some of the recordings are even earlier, from the late 40´s. 
There might be one, that has a bop trumpetist on it (could be Howard McGhee). 

The first Flip Phillips I ever heard in my live is on that great little LP with Roy Eldrigde on one side and Fats Navarro on the other side "Saturday Night Jazz Session" on the french America Label. 
The side 1 has Roy Eldridge with Flip Phillips (Flip and Jazz is one title). Great ! 

On 10/15/2024 at 3:34 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I never did entirely like Shank's sound though, for some reason. I don't play saxophone so I don't know what it is, but maybe there is too much loose air flying around. It sounds like balsa wood to me.

In that regard, you might find an interesting detour (but just that...) of Shank's MOR World Pacific albums from the mid-60s through the very early 70s. As with most such affairs, "improvisation" is not at all a real consideration, but interpretation of a melody is, and as such a focus on tone is paramount.

I can't exactly say that I came away with a new appreciation of Bud Shank, but I can say that whatever all those hours in the studio did to burn him out, they also allowed him to fine-tune his tone to the utmost degree.