Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2Vz

I got the first of these two albums - The Swinger/Mr. Swing, both from same session - on a Harry Edison Euro compilation.  Decided to upgrade and get the second part.  Verve has a legit release and Presto sells it as a download for $7.  Swings along great with Freddie Green.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

Just a gentle whispy rain this morning. I’ve gotten used to the chill in the air, but Lucinda put the heat on and I’m not complaining!

Starting off with an excellent compilation cd of two 1972 Stitt powerhouse recordings with Barry Harris at the piano.

Sonny Stitt “Endgame Brilliance” 32 Jazz cd

f5de3f0cbab9fcad08a81bef2035c46a38bc6ef8

17 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-1131818290.jpeg

One of my favourite Donald Byrd records. That great tune in minor, it´s also on a live double CD from Half Note I think...

3 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2Vz

I got the first of these two albums - The Swinger/Mr. Swing, both from same session - on a Harry Edison Euro compilation.  Decided to upgrade and get the second part.  Verve has a legit release and Presto sells it as a download for $7.  Swings along great with Freddie Green.

I saw Harry Sweets Edison together with Eddie Lockjaw Davis, it was in 1978 ! But I still remember that the first tune was the bop standard "Rifftide" ! 

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis-Johnny Griffin Quintet – Blues Up And DownBlues_Up__Down.jpg.9fdfefbc9e59add6e4efd5688114c7af.jpg

A particularly enjoyable match up. Who is pianist Lloyd Mayer's? 

I have a 4 or 5 CDs compilation of all Griff-Davis albums, but must admit that this one I have not so often listened like the CD with the Monk tunes. I have no idea who is Lloyd Mayer´s . I just had a look at the personnel and think I had remembered him as "Fort Myers" 😄.

About the music : That 2 tenor tandem was great and they played much again in the next decades, once in an all star formation with Diz and Milt Jackson. 
I´ve played also with 2 tenors the famous Lockjaw Davis composition loosly based on "Body and Soul" but at brisc tempo..

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

Ni05ODUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

IMO, this 1957 performance is one of EKE's essential live dates.  The music is so loose and so right!  It's bursting at the seams, overflowing with vitality.  Incomparable artistry.

👍 Yes, a really good one.

Now:

The Clef Years: Classic Albums 1952-58, Primary, 1 of 1

Bought this from amazon.ca for $11 Canadian (a bargain). Some really fine music on this 3 CD set. 

Bud Shank QuartetThe_Bud_Shank_Quartet.jpg.c4aeb168b0b95bde39293e73093b0587.jpg

If find it interesting that lots of descriptions of Shank's playing at the time highlight cliches of Californian sun, but when you listen to his earlier records, he actually has quite an aggressive and fast punching concept, albeit he never sounds worked up or angry. This is one of my favourite early Shank records, saving the bossa albums which I really do like. I never did entirely like Shank's sound though, for some reason. I don't play saxophone so I don't know what it is, but maybe there is too much loose air flying around. It sounds like balsa wood to me.

Edited by Rabshakeh