Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Ah yes & thanks for the link. I thought more about a general topic as Paintings and / or grphic art. I am wondering that no David Stone Martin or Jim Flora coverart threads have been created.  Also original oil ppaintimngs have often appeared on  west coast labels. There is still a lot to discover.

It's not easy to dedicate a cover thread to a painter .... there is a thread about Edward Hopper, his paintings and influences on other artists .... mostly run by optatio" and me .... wish there would be more participants ....

13 hours ago, soulpope said:

It's not easy to dedicate a cover thread to a painter .... there is a thread about Edward Hopper, his paintings and influences on other artists .... mostly run by optatio" and me .... wish there would be more participants ....

Yes have seen that. I do prefer to take scans only from my own collection.  So I will check again what I do have and maybe open a new thread for paintings and/or special  and well known artists from the graphic & drawing scene..

A little disadvantage is that all these threads are spread all over  the place in "Micellaneous Music".

Finishing up the fourth disc of the Bob Dylan “1974 Live” box set. This is going to be a slog to get through, this box set. I like the music okay. . . but his singing style this tour bugs me a bit.

Now on to Grateful Dead “Friend of the Devils: April 1978” box set, sixth show, disc 1

Contrary to the Dylan I’m really enjoying this box set, I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed 1978 Dead this much before, in part because of the excellent sound.

2d5a19c454027161b6964dda045df75347a03492

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MTMtMjU3MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Absolute gem

49 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

41n-ohG5UEL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

And another. I played it last week and for the first time in ages realised how strong side 2 is

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Finishing up the fourth disc of the Bob Dylan “1974 Live” box set. This is going to be a slog to get through, this box set. I like the music okay. . . but his singing style this tour bugs me a bit.

That's been my issue with his entire career. I always wish he'd hired a vocalist to sing his lyrics. And yes, I do realise this is tantamount to a heresy 

Next up:

Ni05ODUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

IMO, this 1957 performance is one of EKE's essential live dates.  The music is so loose and so right!  It's bursting at the seams, overflowing with vitality.  Incomparable artistry.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I played it last week and for the first time in ages realised how strong side 2 is

Yes!  "Love from the Sun" !!!  

Edited by HutchFan

10 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Pacific Jazz (Liberty) 91 - Les McCann & The Gerald Wilson Orchestra - rec. 1964 - Engineer: Richard Bock  - Cover art by Thomas Knitch( courtesy The McKenzie Gallery)

48794461vh.jpg

48794462ii.jpg

48794463hn.jpg

That one has never been reissued on CD, correct? I know it's not part of Mosaic's Gerald Wilson set.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Absolute gem

And another. I played it last week and for the first time in ages realised how strong side 2 is

That's been my issue with his entire career. I always wish he'd hired a vocalist to sing his lyrics. And yes, I do realise this is tantamount to a heresy 

Oh I generally love his singing, and think he's a master. . . but in this instance, a return to touring after a long spell and in front of a loud band, and trying something new, I don't think I'll dig it over 27 cds.

Edited by jazzbo