Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image.jpeg.da870e6469c0b5a9d475c3d24a281a15.jpeg

This disc pairs two compositions for special harps in 16th tones intervals, known as arpa citera, inspired by Mexican microtonal composer Julián Carrillo (1875-1965). While until the 1920s, Carrillo composed traditional, so to speak, atonal music, after this date, starting with Preludio a Colón, in 1922, he dedicated himself to compose exclusively in microintervals, a goal he pursued until his death in 1965. Carrillo divided the octave into various number of notes, from 16 to as much as 96 intervals for what is known as his Sonido 13 (“Sonido trece”) system, or the thirteenth tone. Between 1926 and the 1950s, Carrillo conceived several models of microtonal pianos and harps, but they weren’t build until 1958 when fifteen Sonido 13 pianos were exhibited during the Brussels World Fair in Belgium.

The pair of arpa citera used on this disc were presumably build around 1973 by Carrillo’s last students and disciples David Espejo Aviles and Oscar Vargas Leal, who also composed the two works recorded here. These vertical harps can play 400 notes with very short intervals. In addition to the strangeness of the tuning, the musicians use a lot of ascending and descending glissandos, decaying tones and, of course, the sounds of the 2 harps also create harmonics and unusual intervals. This eerie and out-of-this-world music will be familiar to people already accustomed to Ivan Wychnegradsky or Alois Hába.

image.jpeg.724652b015a3535dfc5f014516080c2a.jpeg

16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

New to me, looks like an interesting line up. One to investigate, thanks for posting

You'll notice that there's only 2 tracks on this. It's a good listen.
They have a couple of full albums and singles too. Oh! and check out the remix album of Mamari too.

Edited by rostasi

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

This again:

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Two-tenor combos are fun.  I like how they can flex between sounding like any other small-group unit, while at other times making sounds that approximate a big band in miniature.

The Rhythm Section is great too .... Pete Jolly was an excellent pianist ....

Edited by soulpope

Franca Sacchi – Ho Sempre Desiderato Avere Un Cane, Un Gatto Ed Un Cavallo -
Ora Ho Un Gatto Ed Un Cavallo, Mi Manca Soltanto Il Cane

image.jpeg.72187f5d860ee2e9717e245dc089577d.jpeg

Franca Sacchi – Essere

image.jpeg.597478ebe46a98d444887274a53071a6.jpeg

Marcello Morandini - Seven sonorous canes are hung in front of a panel
in such a way that the visitor can strike them and make the musical notes do/re/mi/fa/sol/la/si.

image.jpeg.cef4033904548ecb43823cd8be711be4.jpeg

On 10/10/2024 at 7:19 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

I bought their Miles "Lost Quintet" and it was a cdr.

All their releases are, or at least the recent ones. I have all the Don Ellis titles and never encountered a problem. All look very profesionally made. They make only 500 copies of each, so it may reduce costs substantially, and their prices are low. one can make a safety copy, to make sure nothing happens. Given the rarity of the music issued, i don't mind. I never would have expected to ever hear a recording of the Hindustani Jazz Sextet. 

Edited by mikeweil

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

All their releases are, or at least the recent ones. I have all the Don Ellis titles and never encountered a problem. All look very profesionally made. They make only 500 copies of each, so it may reduce costs substantially, and their prices are low. one can make a safety copy, to make sure nothing happens. Given the rarity of the music issued, i don't mind. I never would have expected to ever hear a recording of the Hinsutani Jazz Sextet. 

No complaint here - I just think it is fair to know what one is buying.

7 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Sonny-Clark-Sonnys-Crib-album-cover-web-optimised-820.thumb.webp.d6d1c4a0f07acea0941d74398392871b.webp

Maybe it is not as great as "Cool Struttin´" but it is very very good. Maybe I would not have bought it if there was not Coltrane on it. 
I had heard that Trane, besides "Blue Trane" was on two other BN sessions (Whims of Chambers and Sonny´s Crib).