So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

71FcpLe2u7L._SX522_.jpg

That’s a great one Chuck with a legendary band including Don Cherry, Hamiet Bluiett, Johnny Dyani, John Betsch, Roy Brooks and Carlos Ward. The Hajj is one hypnotic trip. Do you know ‘African Space Program’? That’s a record with some similarities to this one. Also highly recommended.

• Replies 83.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, I listened to 'The Balance' earlier today, a fine later album.

I also have to thank @Pimfor his championing of 'Echoes From Africa' which I added to the collection recently.

That’s a great one Mark. You’re gonna need this one as well 😜

image.jpeg.63912b8b78b5131aae81f7f56053a6cc.jpeg

OC04MDIwLmpwZWc.jpeg

music from where I grew up, Cologne in the 1990s; and I remember that band being advertised here and there back then but my priorities were different... of course, we listened to Tom Waits a lot, and - through carnival - music in the local dialect [which I never learned to speak] was something we played at least once a year [music in proper German I only discovered in my 20s even though that is my native language]... I guess Tom Waits covers in the dialect you grew up with is a type of music for people over 40... which is fine, it sounds glorious once you're there.

Edited by Niko

18 hours ago, medjuck said:

What is this record? What does CBC stand for?

This is a 2 disc set (50 titles) of the Goodman band before his Victor contract kicked in.

CBC stands for Chris Barber Collection - unrelated to the collection of provinces to our north.

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Earland had a big hit -- and crossover success -- in 1970 with his album Black Talk!

Apparently, this and some other Earland sides were hugely popular with Chicago steppers (a style of dancing).

I only learned this from reading Dusty Groove blurbs, but Jesus, look at the dancers, dancing with no music, and good god, YES. It makes perfect sense!

Here's another one:

Earland was always popular on the Black jazz radio shows around here too.

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

61mVG3bTIcL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Earland was (primarily) a Hammond B3 organist -- comparable to other post-Jimmy Smith players like Groove Holmes, Lonnie Smith, Jack McDuff, et al

Earland had a big hit -- and crossover success -- in 1970 with his album Black Talk!

Oh thank you, now it´s clear why I never had heard that name.
It seems that in my hometown there was not much organ fans, at least among the musicians of my time. Everybody was tenor and drums, I think those where the favourite instruments of all of em. 
I personally liked the bass mostly, so seein and hearin Mingus was heaven on earth, but it is possible that the hammond fans where not so much hangin´ around. 
What sometimes was spinned very late in the night might be some long track like Jimmy Smith´s "The Sermon" or that kind of "organ with horns"....., it was them fine after hours joints. When I was 18 or not yeat 18, I´d do quickly my school lessons there in some back room, than havin a short nap of sleep, a strong coffee and goin to high school......, sometimes directly from the after hour joints.....