• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Ginza Samba!

I´ve never heard Cal Tjader but I remember an album "Stan Getz-Cal Tjader" was on that strongly Mingus bound french jazz record label "America Records". I had heard a little about Stan Getz (I must say more the pre 1950 stuff than the bossa nova that is not really my thing) so I didn´t have no idea who is Cal Tjader, the name didn´t sound really american to me. 
There was some exotic albums like also one "Gerry Mulligan with Jimmy Witherspoon", but the rest was the jazz I heard (Mingus, Roach, Bird, Diz and so on) 

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Mi0zMTU1LmpwZWc.jpeg

I don´t know what´s Acid Jazz, but Bernard "Pretty" Purdie was a great drummer, someone in the category of Billy Cobham or Alphonse Mouzon, anyway great and he does great things on a very strange Diz record from the late 70´s of Diz just with Toots Thielemans, and Bernard Purdie.

So what is Acid Jazz, never heard that word, and how did good old Prestige record more modern music of the 70´s ? 

11 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Discovery DS-836 - June Christy / Lou Levy Sextet " Impromptu" - rec.  1977 - Emgineer: Gordon Shyrock

42838260ou.jpg

42838262te.jpg

42838261xa.jpg

I never had heard June Christy but how this personnel reads it must be a gas, especially if there is a singer not just bein selfish and don´t give solo space to the others (like Ella in the later days did), but with a regular good jazz combo.
Lou Levy, he was not so well known here over in old Europe or Eastern Europe, but he was tops, he was just maybe some milimetru-groove near Bud Powell so much piano that nice guy could play. 
Saw him with Art Pepper, because he had replaced Pepper´s regular group, who got stranded somewhere, but it was a great replacement, don´t remember the bass and ddrums, but remember Lou Levy....

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Miles Davis “Kind of Blue” Sony Blu-Spec CD2 2023 (mono disc)

5150a4e9ec97292888966b37991aff9747cebb13

Sure I Milestone in Miles´ career , I wonder how much spinning it still get´s . 
I still must have my old LP somewhere in the shelves, but strange to say, I had a wrong start with this album, since I had heard before the versions with Herbie, Ron, Wayne and above all Tony (All Blues, So What) and was disappointed by the much slower and more quiet studio recordings. 
As I say, I had not the best start with it, and liked Herbie more than Bill Evans, and Tony more than Jimmy Cobb.....

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I don´t know what´s Acid Jazz, but Bernard "Pretty" Purdie was a great drummer, someone in the category of Billy Cobham or Alphonse Mouzon, anyway great and he does great things on a very strange Diz record from the late 70´s of Diz just with Toots Thielemans, and Bernard Purdie.

So what is Acid Jazz, never heard that word, and how did good old Prestige record more modern music of the 70´s ? 

Gheorghe, you can see the definition of "Acid Jazz" here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_jazz

The "Legends of Acid Jazz" series repackaged soul-jazz and jazz-funk music originally recorded in the late-60s and early-70s for Prestige. Typically, CDs in the series contain 2 complete LPs.

Whatever you might want to call it, the music is fabulous -- if you enjoy those jazz sub-genres.

Edited by HutchFan

Next up:

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

João Donato, Arranged & Conducted by Deodato (Muse, 1973)

Personnel: João Donato (kybds); Deodato (kybds, arr, cond); Romeo Penque (fl, whistle); Mauricio Einhorn (harmonica); Randy Brecker (tr); Michael Gibson (tb); Bob Rose (g); Dud Bascomb (b); Allan Schwartzberg (d); Ray Barretto (cga); Airto (perc)

I have the 32 Jazz reissue with a different cover -- but I like the Muse cover better.

Edited by HutchFan