Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/6/2024 at 1:24 PM, soulpope said:

I meant unsung "comparatively" to Charlie Haden .... no disrespect to Rufus Reid intended ....

hey, I didn´t suppose that you´d mean that. 

Of course, as a musician or a musician thinkin listener I´d prefer Rufus Reid on any occasions. Not only from sound and solos, but also on stage or backstage. 
I´ve heard Charlie Haden was quite a complaining and whining guy, that´s difficult and not amusing .......

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

hey, I didn´t suppose that you´d mean that. 

Of course, as a musician or a musician thinkin listener I´d prefer Rufus Reid on any occasions. Not only from sound and solos, but also on stage or backstage. 

Fair enough .... just wanted to make sure my appreciation for Rufus Reid is documented 🤓 ....

On 9/8/2024 at 7:39 AM, jazzcorner said:

As far as do remember its all previously issued material.

But have to check that on my 2 copies

A fair bit of the first set sounded familiar and I do have it I think on vinyl on Trunk's 'KPM' release. This CD version sounds superb though and I'm very glad to have it on CD. The CBBB are one of those bands where if you want to listen to them you want to hear it for several hours continuous so CD is very great to have.

Also nice to have these two sets in their entirety with the idiosyncratic Campi packaging !

I just wish that someone had put out a decent legit reissue of the 'Folk Bag' LP. My so called German vinyl reissue sounds like a damn MP3..

Updated - CD2 of the first box actually has half of the 'Folk Bag' album. Too bad it isn't all of it.

Edited by sidewinder

18 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

jhjhjhj.jpg

I think I have the LP in the 1970´s when I wanted to "collect" Parker which is impossible. 
But to the difference of the Savoy Mastertakes and the Dials and the Live at Birdland or Massey Hall I was completly disappointed by this. 

See, I was a "student" of playin bop since this is heavy music for a youngster and I took it very seriously to get to master my instrument, and THIS LP with them no name string arrangements sounding like from some kitsch movie score, it´s not my music. 

And the side B with no strings is not much better: Bombastic big band arrangement, not as I had hoped a band that plays big band jazz as Diz with arrangers Tadd Dameron and Gil Fuller did it. 

15 hours ago, sidewinder said:

A fair bit of the first set sounded familiar and I do have it I think on vinyl on Trunk's 'KPM' release. This CD version sounds superb though and I'm very glad to have it on CD. The CBBB are one of those bands where if you want to listen to them you want to hear it for several hours continuous so CD is very great to have.

Also nice to have these two sets in their entirety with the idiosyncratic Campi packaging !

I just wish that someone had put out a decent legit reissue of the 'Folk Bag' LP. My so called German vinyl reissue sounds like a damn MP3..

Updated - CD2 of the first box actually has half of the 'Folk Bag' album. Too bad it isn't all of it.

Re: unissued material on Volume I "Historically Speaking".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats correct after checking

The booklet comments as "unissued sequences" the  following material on Disc 1 and 2:

- The Inferno Suite (4 tracks) - Disc 1

- Sketched from the 'Faces' suite (3 tracks) Disc 1

- Selection from 'The Folk Songs Session' (4 tracks) - Disc 2

- Selections from 'Gyson's Session 1967' (5 tracks)

I must admit I hadnt read the very small printed text to this material

My numbered copies: Vol 1 = 0503 / Vol 2 = 0843

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

Fall is here, but it’s still a bit warm. Fiona and I had a little walk. . . walking a deaf and blilnd dog is a bit of a challenge, but rewarding when she returns and settles into a happy nap and I get to listen to the warmed up stereo.

Started off with
Miles Davis “Quiet Nights” Sony Blu-Spec CD2 2023

Followed by
Tony Williams “The Story of Neptune” Blue Note cd