Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I only have one BN album on which it seems that Brother McDuff is on organ, but I´m not sure, there was too many albums with organ on BN in the 60´s. It seems they were lookin desperatly for a second Jimmy Smith, hopin to make some money. I really forgot who was the leader on that record, it must have been a horn player or what. Oh wait a minute. I think on that album was also Yusuf Lateef, it might be the only recording of him on BN, and also the only occasion I heard him. So who might have been the leader ? 

Live albums are always a gas, I prefer them to studio albums, you hear the drummer better and hear all the noise, but it "lives", it´s not done in many takes in the studio, it´s what happened on that occasion. 
Only..... if there might be one single tune I really hate, and I mean really hate, it´s "Ain´t No Sunshine".....

I don't call the organists after Jimmy Smith as something like clones of Jimmy Smith; just as Bud Powell doesn't resemble Bud Powell's followers, Jimmy Smith is very individualistic and resembles no one. And the organists who came out after Smith's success--Jack McDuff, Jimmy McGriff, Richard Groove Holmes, Freddie Roach, Reuben Wilson, Larry Young and others--were all unique and distinctive.

Personally, I prefer Prestige to BN's organ stuff because they are more earthy, but, well, that's probably just a matter of taste...

Edited by mhatta

15 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

Primary

Oh I remember them very well. 

But the story behind them is also interesting. 

The "Me myself and I" was the last album, that I think was published during Mingus ´last months or weeks of live, while "Something..." was published one year later of unissued material from the "Me Myself and I" . 

The interesting thing is, that "Three or Four Worlds of Drums" was "born" during a tour of Mingus in Tunisia (too bad nothing from down there is available), where he heard a lot of north african drums and the slightly oriental timbre of that mega suite prooves it. 

It was intended to be a large opus like "three or four shades of the blues" and "Cumbia and Jazz Fusion" had been. 

It was originally written for Mingus´ touring band, but like "Cumbia" the label had it grossly overproduced with just too many musicians, I would have preferred only the three drummers and percussion with the core quintet, maybe augmented with a trombone player and an alto player, but not dozens of them.....

7 hours ago, Brad said:

IMG_1563.jpg

My personal favourite from Sonny´s BN albums !

15 hours ago, mhatta said:

I don't call the organists after Jimmy Smith as something like clones of Jimmy Smith; just as Bud Powell doesn't resemble Bud Powell's followers, Jimmy Smith is very individualistic and resembles no one. And the organists who came out after Smith's success--Jack McDuff, Jimmy McGriff, Richard Groove Holmes, Freddie Roach, Reuben Wilson, Larry Young and others--were all unique and distinctive.

Personally, I prefer Prestige to BN's organ stuff because they are more earthy, but, well, that's probably just a matter of taste...

Thank you so much for your kind answer. I like that because I sometimes miss that albums are just posted with them covers but not discussed musically......

Well, in my case maybe the organ is just an instrument for listening, my main interest is such instruments where I almost feel that I´d play with them or first of all LEARN from them and that is definitly horn players and drummers.....

Larry Young is my absolute fave on organ, because like Jimmy Smith in his generation and Larry Young in his generation played more than just the instrument. Sure I hear the organ, but first of all I hear THE Jimmy Smith, THE Larry Young, and most of all, with stellar fellow musicians like Lou Donaldson, Art Blakey, Hank Mobley, Donald Byrd in Jimmie´s case and Sam Rivers, Joe Henderson, Woody Shaw, Elvin Jones in Larry´s case. 

That´s why -----though a piano player my self, I have very very few piano led albums, even Bud, I kept the ones that have horns but much of the trio work bores me, either because the drums is not recorded properly (have Max Roach on Verve sessions but can´t hear him ????!) or in Europe you have weak or even amateur drummers. 
From post Bud players I like Garland for his chords, Sonny Clark only with horn players, of course very much Horace Silver Quintet. 

Forgot one man on organ who I love doing his organ: Miles Davis !!!! What he did in the Mid seventies on organ was fantastic ! Them chords, I must say I learned something from the way Miles does chords, just for contemporary music.....

The nice and cool calm before it gets hot today.

Airto “Natural Feelings” Japan cd

b4ae13c59fa9845732cd8da421fb55300e51ee03

Airto’s work of this time period is fascinating to me. (This was recorded in 1970). This group of musicians work so well together! Hermeto brings his magic here.

Bass – Ron Carter
Guitar – Sivuca
Percussion, Vocals – Airto Moreira
Piano, Organ, Harpsichord, Flute – Hermeto
Vocals – Flora Purim

31 minutes ago, Joe said:

image.jpg?c=VIoF1vqBhLCDeBLHAH4hdlWnbEN5

Very good one!

Compassion, recorded the next day at the same place and with the same lineup, is also excellent, but for some reason it does not seem to have been released on CD or streamed.  I thought all Enja discs were released on CD, but obviously am wrong.

33 minutes ago, mhatta said:

Compassion, recorded the next day at the same place and with the same lineup, is also excellent, but for some reason it does not seem to have been released on CD or streamed.  I thought all Enja discs were released on CD, but obviously am wrong.

You're right, "Compassion" never released on CD ....