Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/31/2024 at 9:58 PM, ejp626 said:

Looks like this came out yesterday!  I should see if I can get in touch with Neil and have him bring a few along when he plays The Rex with Pat LaBarbera in mid Sept.

It's a good one. Of the three recordings under Neil's leadership, I think this one may be the best (or at least the one I most enjoyed at first listen). Not that there's anything wrong with the other two! 

Now:

Primary

On CD.  This is one of my favorite Mingus recordings. Not only the title track, but the Todo Modo music is excellent, too, in my view. And the CD includes a shorter alternate take. 

4 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

It's a good one. Of the three recordings under Neil's leadership, I think this one may be the best (or at least the one I most enjoyed at first listen). Not that there's anything wrong with the other two! 

Now:

Primary

On CD.  This is one of my favorite Mingus recordings. Not only the title track, but the Todo Modo music is excellent, too, in my view. And the CD includes a shorter alternate take. 

👍

11 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

I've seen this claim (that Here for a While is his third recording) but I think people are not counting Red Shift and probably not Tranquility where Neil is co-leader with Don Thompson (but still gets first billing).

I've been streaming a lot of Zorn lately, but I just ordered Tomeka Reid's Old New off of Bandcamp, so I'm listening to that right now.  a1137859246_16.jpg

14 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Now:

Primary

mine too. "Cumbia" and "Three or Four Shades of Blues" where the albums during the time I saw Mingus live twice and the repertory on the tour was the title tunes of both albums. 

Only, that I found the live versions much more exiting. Look, I heard that stuff live after it was recorded but apperently before the two albums came out simultanously. On both albums, compared to the live Mingus Quintet the studio versions were slower and a bit too much packed with non-Mingus-studio-musicians.......

I had stated that yesterday while responding to a posting of "Three or Four Shades" here on that forum but nobody payed no heed......but I can´t help commenting it, because Mingus was part of my live in the budding years of learning about jazz.....

A really cool morning! Fall is in the air, though 80 degrees are due later this week. The kitchen cabinets will be finished today. . . and then the long wait for the countertops begins.

Starting off with an old favorite in a new “light”–Miles Davis “Miles in Berlin” Blu-Spec CD2, disc 2 (the original German “stereo” release remastered)

The only drawback really is that this does not have the delightful “Stella by Starlight” released later.

13c47f78a4aaee33bc454ad5cc15262eff1bd1ef

I put in the "mono" disc 1 of the "Berlin" 2 cd set just to hear "Stella by Starlight" which was not included on the second disc. This is a phenomenal "Stella."

Then. . . .

Moacir Santos “Ouro Negro” disc 2

I just love this 2 cd set and never play it often enough.

f8363878745eac2e124ade044572e9f15f0b49bf

9 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I've seen this claim (that Here for a While is his third recording) but I think people are not counting Red Shift and probably not Tranquility where Neil is co-leader with Don Thompson (but still gets first billing).

Oh yes, you're right. I completely forgot about Tranquility. I have that one. It's a superb recording. I was not aware of Redshift. I'll check for it on itunes.  I have a few CD's on Addo. It was a rather obscure label that kind of got lost in the shuffle (at least, in my shuffle). 

Primary

Now:

Live at the House of Tribes