Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Dizzy Gillespie Et Les Double-Six – Dizzy Gillespie Et Les Double-SixR-5380963-1391964529-6233.jpg.0606f852c91db325dabc95b9935a32b0.jpg

Though it is some unusual surroundings, it is a classic bop record. The Double Six of Paris vocalize the original arrangements of the Dizzy´s famous Big Band in the 40´s and the solos of the saxophonists like James Moody and others. If you can stand all that "shu bee doo" of the vocal or the nonsense lyrics in french and just listen to the music, the results are very fine. 
Diz is in excellent form, as is his old companion from the good old bop years, Bud Powell. Some critics used to write off Bud´s later recordings, but who hears his contributions here or from the Dexter album "Our Man in Paris" from the same time, will see that them critics were wrong and may have destroyed many careers with them their dumb writing......

Sahib Shihab’s “Sahib’s Jazz Party” Debut/Muzak Japan lp facsimile cd

Another cold morning! Will be a busy few days getting ready for the kitchen demo–our dining room/living room space is full of boxes of cabinets.

Recorded live at the JazzHaus Montmartre in Copenhagen, 1963

Sahib Shihab - curved soprano saxophone, baritone saxophone, flute
Allan Botschinsky - flugelhorn
Ole Molin - guitar
Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - bass
Alex Riel - drums
Bjarne Rostvold - snare drum

Swingin’!

OMG that Shihab cd is hard to beat either in musical content or sonic quality. . . exceptional.

Now, something different, onto the Bob Dylan “The Cutting Edge Collector’s Edition” box set, disc 4–all “Like a Rolling Stone.”

By the end of this disc I can tell you how it feels.

836085f46a21da2154cf0b50843de667326b41d6

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

OMG that Shihab cd is hard to beat either in musical content or sonic quality. . . exceptional.

The Japanese LP I have of it also sounds great so I can imagine how terrific the CD must do on your system.

Such a good album too.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

The Japanese LP I have of it also sounds great so I can imagine how terrific the CD must do on your system.

Such a good album too.

Yes. . . and this cd has three extra tracks.