Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, T.D. said:

When I see the name Baden Powell, I can't help thinking about the Boy Scouts...[a Brit with surname Baden-Powell founded Scouting].

It's not a coincidence.  The guitarist's father admired scouting and Baden-Powell.   So that's how he got the name.

The guitarist's full name was actually Baden Powell de Aquino.  He did pronounce it a bit differently, however: BAH-den instead of BAY-den.

More Brazilian music:

51J7fyjYYsL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Tania Maria with Boto and Helio - Via Brasil (Barclay FR, 1975)
Sunnyside CD reissue

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

I think this was quite new when I heard Mingus for the first time live. They had "Sue´s Changes" and "Remember Rockefeller at Attika" in the set list, only that Adams and Pullen had been replaced by Ford and Neloms. 
Jack Walrath was the newest member on that album here. But on the tour I saw Walrath got much more space than here on the record. 

20 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

She died a couple of years ago, at the age of 80. Strong personality, as well.

Now listening to:

Primary

Is this a later album of Tete ? 

I never new about why he had died. I think he was with Joe Henderson somewhere in the 80´s but I think he didn´t get really old, he might have died to young. What had happened. 

When he was here in  Viena with Henderson, Joe Henderson and Tete were the only musicians who could play, because the bassist and drummer where so weak it was painful. The rescue came, when Tete whiped the rhythm section to lay out and played only solo, he got the whole rhythm section himself. 
Usually I´m not a fan of duo playing without bass and drums, but on that occasion I wished it would have been, so inadecvat was the bass-drums. 

32 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Is this a later album of Tete ? 

I never new about why he had died. I think he was with Joe Henderson somewhere in the 80´s but I think he didn´t get really old, he might have died to young. What had happened. 

Yes, this album was recorded in October 1996, just ten months before his passing in August 1997, due to lung cancer, at the age of 64. He had recorded another album with Joan Manuel Serrat compositions (plus Catalan trad songs) for the Spanish label Discophon, much earlier in his career, back in 1969. This one:

Primary

32 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

When he was here in  Viena with Henderson, Joe Henderson and Tete were the only musicians who could play, because the bassist and drummer where so weak it was painful. The rescue came, when Tete whiped the rhythm section to lay out and played only solo, he got the whole rhythm section himself. 
Usually I´m not a fan of duo playing without bass and drums, but on that occasion I wished it would have been, so inadecvat was the bass-drums. 

Yes, he was a character, and very critical and dismissive with weak rhythm sections. He did the same (fire bassist and drummer and keep playing duo with the horn) while playing alongside George Coleman at Ronnie Scotts, very late 70s.

Edited by EKE BBB

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Yesterday evening .... :

R-11366379-1515034818-4925.jpeg.jpg

Enjoyable ....

wow, never saw this. Okay, I´m not a special fan of Stanley Turrentine and Eric Gale, but whewwww, Herbie, Freddie, Ron, Jack DeJohnette.........my "best friends" (not really , but for listening and hearing live) so I think I must look for this or give Serena a "pont" to surprise me on some occasion.......

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Yes, this album was recorded in October 1996, just ten months before his passing in August 1997, due to lung cancer, at the age of 64. He had recorded another album with Joan Manuel Serrat compositions (plus Catalan trad songs) for the Spanish label Discophon, much earlier in his career, back in 1969. This one:

Primary

Yes, he was a character, and very critical and dismissive with weak rhythm sections. He did the same (fire bassist and drummer and keep playing duo with the horn) while playing alongside George Coleman at Ronnie Scotts, very late 70s.

I am lucky I got the best rhythm section in town, but I suffer thousands of death´s if I had to play with bass-drums who are not up to expected standards. 

So Tete was damn right to fire crap players......