Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/16/2024 at 3:15 PM, Simon8 said:

I'd say the same... but by switching albums 😅: "Musings..." is somewhat too "smooth" or subdued for my taste, whereas "Quintet/Sextet" has to me a more interesting/involving tracks selection, all originals (first versions of Jackie McLean's "Dr. Jackle" and "Minor March" [aka "Minor Apprehension" on "New Soil"], Thad Jones "Bitty Ditty", Ray Bryant nice "Changes"). And Milt and Percy Heath...:) 

Interesting ! Well I found the tandem of the very metronomic Percy Heath and the more simple swinging approach of Art Taylor more "smooth". 
But I listen more from the drums chair or the drums-bass action, though I am a piano player. 
So I must admit I find Philly Joe Jones more challenging, and Oscar Pettiford also more challenging than Percy Heath. 

But there are also other albums where I found they are too smooth or less interesting: 

From the "1.st Quintet" before those 4 great albums "Cookin-Relaxin-Workin-Steamin" there was another album, that actually was the first album of the "First Quintet", but I found it outright boring. 

And I must admit there is one sacrileg too for many jazz fans: 

For most of all KOB is one of the best classic albums, but not in my case. 
My start with KOB went wrong. I actually HAD verions of "All Blues" and "So What" from the 2nd Quintet with Hancock and Tony Williams, and was outright disappointed with the more lazy versions on KOB, I missed the pulse of Tony or Philly J.J. and so my discography BETWEEN the 1st and 2nd Quintet is very small or doesn´t get spinning..... 

10 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Excellent .... 

Not that I regard Núria Feliu's voice as very jazzy, but I have always found that the combination of Jaume Picas' adaptation of the English lyrics to Catalan, and Feliu's somehow unorthodox phrasing, sum up for a strongly appealing mix. With the added value of Ervin's tenor sax on several tracks. And Tete plus Peter plus Brooks is always a winner!

3 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Not that I regard Núria Feliu's voice as very jazzy, but I have always found that the combination of Jaume Picas' adaptation of the English lyrics to Catalan, and Feliu's somehow unorthodox phrasing, sum up for a strongly appealing mix. With the added value of Ervin's tenor sax on several tracks. And Tete plus Peter plus Brooks is always a winner!

Bought it (back then) because of Booker Ervin, but Núria Feliu's voice - as you said - melts in nicely ....

39 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Bought it (back then) because of Booker Ervin, but Núria Feliu's voice - as you said - melts in nicely ....

She died a couple of years ago, at the age of 80. Strong personality, as well.

Now listening to:

Primary