• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NjYtNzgwMy5qcGVn.jpeg

My copy of that looks a bit different, but what I remember most about that album is
that there's this distinctive "pop" (as in "popping") sound at the very end of the first track.
In '76, as a college student, I would point the speakers out the window and send that loud
popping sound out into the middle of an enclosed quad area and drive other students cRaZy.
Cheap thrill when you're 17 or 18.

9 hours ago, Simon8 said:

MDItOTU2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

I think I bought it in 1978 and liked it very much, though sometimes it sounds a bit too "smooth" to me. 
I found the previously album "Musings of Miles" , the one that is the very pre birth of the "First Quintet" with Garland and Philly J.J., but interesting O.Pettiford on bass, much more challenging. 

9 hours ago, optatio said:

👍 - my copy is the original US LP from 1974 - photo: Jean-Pierre Leloir

Well nothing against Peterson, since may people liked him and bought his records, but I was carried to one concert in 1978 and the fact, that instead of a drummer there was Joe Pass on guitar, was very "strafverschärfend" for a young drum addict jazzman who I was and still aims to be.....😉

A sad morning. I’m starting to slowly lose my listening partner, Fiona the miniature dachshund. She’s nearly blind, nearly deaf, and fading. She’s been my good companion for years and I hate seeing her this way. I’m taking good care of her.

Right now we’re listening to

Dave Burrell “High Won – High Two” Freedom/Muzak Japan lp facsimile cd

Fascinating.

57966f5c888d6680ffb0741429b4fccac2f699a8

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

A sad morning. I’m starting to slowly lose my listening partner, Fiona the miniature dachshund. She’s nearly blind, nearly deaf, and fading. She’s been my good companion for years and I hate seeing her this way. I’m taking good care of her.

Same here with the older of our two dogs .... burdensome still touching ....

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I bought it in 1978 and liked it very much, though sometimes it sounds a bit too "smooth" to me. 
I found the previously album "Musings of Miles" , the one that is the very pre birth of the "First Quintet" with Garland and Philly J.J., but interesting O.Pettiford on bass, much more challenging. 

I'd say the same... but by switching albums 😅: "Musings..." is somewhat too "smooth" or subdued for my taste, whereas "Quintet/Sextet" has to me a more interesting/involving tracks selection, all originals (first versions of Jackie McLean's "Dr. Jackle" and "Minor March" [aka "Minor Apprehension" on "New Soil"], Thad Jones "Bitty Ditty", Ray Bryant nice "Changes"). And Milt and Percy Heath...:)