• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a0525442697_10.jpg

Ron Horton - A Prayer for Andrew

an Andrew Hill tribute recorded 2016 with Frank Kimbrough at the piano and a similar sextet lineup as on Andrew Hill's Dusk (with Horton on trumpet and also Marty Ehrlich on alto) playing some Hill compositions and dedications

Re-listened to “The Genius of Coleman Hawkins” because it was still in the transport and . . . well it’s a great album.

Now, enjoying the cool and quiet of this lovely morning, I’m on to “Stan Levey Quintet,” Mode/Muzak Japan lp facsimile cd. These Muzak remasterings sound wonderful! And this is a really nice date.

Quite a band!

Piano – Lou Levy
Bass – Monty Budwig
Drums – Stan Levey
Tenor Saxophone – Richie Kamuca
Trumpet – Conte Candoli

5bd9a32061bcaa7fd25a438cae0822c40e473d2e

Now onto a new arrival, the new remaster reissue of Sun Ra “Strange Strings” . . . a bizarre even by Ra standards recording. If it weren’t for the anchor of the amazing Ronnie Boykins bass playing . . . i probably would not listen to this. The original cd issue has been in deep storage a long time so I can’t do a comparison but the sound of this mastering is excellent.

Cosmic Myth Records cd

18445a161be9798790f316356c8ff52d94e3d674

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

All those Crawford-McGriff Milestones are like home-cookin' -- Deeee-licious:tup

Sorry to say this, but I kind of lost the taste for these. It goes into the sales box, like the one I listened to next:

Ny02NzMzLmpwZWc.jpeg

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Now onto a new arrival, the new remaster reissue of Sun Ra “Strange Strings” . . . a bizarre even by Ra standards recording. If it weren’t for the anchor of the amazing Ronnie Boykins bass playing . . . i probably would not listen to this. The original cd issue has been in deep storage a long time so I can’t do a comparison but the sound of this mastering is excellent.

Cosmic Myth Records cd

18445a161be9798790f316356c8ff52d94e3d674

This.

It's quite good for drifting off towards Alpha State, as much as circumstances allow.