So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

32 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

71giCuN+7tL._UF550,550_QL50_.jpg

I don´t think I have that, since I try not to have too many records of one kind of music or interpret, but I know I must have some of them very long blues tracks with players like Trane, Chambers, Art Taylor with some wonderful block accord solos of Red Garland. I like the way he voices his chords , maybe some here in the forum like other pianists more (Horace, Kenny Drew, Ray Bryant), but those voicings helped me a lot. I have listened very very intensely to them....

• Replies 80.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/23/2024 at 12:31 AM, Joe said:

Produced by Lenny White, but does anyone know what the backstory here is? 

Lenny White and Milan Simich conceived a number of All Star recordings under various headings, The Chartbusters and The Essence Allstars, some dedicated to the book of 1960's Blue Note artists with clever combinations of players from two or three generations. White backed out later. Couldn't find any info on Simich.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/636457-Milan-Simich

55 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Just arrived: 
"Classic Bobby Hutcherson Blue Note Sessions 1963 – 1970" Mosaic Records, now playing disc 1

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/bobby-hutcherson-limited-edition-set/

Lon,

After you've had some time to listen to the set, I'd be VERY interested in hearing your impressions of the audio quality -- relative to previous releases. 

Since I've already got all of this music (aside from a few alt takes), the potential AQ improvement is going to be a big determining factor whether I spring for this set.

NP:

Mi03NTEwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Edited by HutchFan

11 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Lenny White and Milan Simich conceived a number of All Star recordings under various headings, The Chartbusters and The Essence Allstars, some dedicated to the book of 1960's Blue Note artists with clever combinations of players from two or three generations. White backed out later. Couldn't find any info on Simich.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/636457-Milan-Simich

Thank you!

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Lon,

After you've had some time to listen to the set, I'd be VERY interested in hearing your impressions of the audio quality -- relative to previous releases. 

Since I've already got all of this music (aside from a few alt takes), the potential AQ improvement is going to be a big determining factor whether I spring for this set.

I can tell you already that imo in my system the albums "The Kicker" and "Dialog" sound better here than on US cd releases. A Japanese SHM-CD version of "Dialog" sounds a little different but very good as well. I think that it will turn out that this set has sound quality on top of or equal to any previous issues. . . I'll try to remember to update you as I get further into this set over the following days.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I can tell you already that imo in my system the albums "The Kicker" and "Dialog" sound better here than on US cd releases. A Japanese SHM-CD version of "Dialog" sounds a little different but very good as well. I think that it will turn out that this set has sound quality on top of or equal to any previous issues. . . I'll try to remember to update you as I get further into this set over the following days.

Thank you for that info.  :tup