17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Johnny Coles “Little Johnny C” Blue Note 85th Anniversary UHQCD Japan

Alto Saxophone, Flute – Leo Wright
Bass – Bob Cranshaw
Drums – Pete La Roca, Walter Perkins
Piano – Duke Pearson
Tenor Saxophone – Joe Henderson
Trumpet – Johnny Coles

It´s a nice record, I think there is a little ballad dedicated to his baby daughter on it, which is very very nice. 

But I have not listened to it for decades. My only more touch to Johnny Coles seems to be on the Mingus recordings with Dolphy and Cliff Jordan. 

• Replies 80.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/22/2024 at 10:42 PM, HutchFan said:

The idea of "The Originals" series was that the CD would be an exact duplicate of the original album.  I've always assumed that's why they didn't include "I Remember Clifford" on that particular reissue.

That's a rather dumb idea for a series then. This is a CD. If they want "original" then it has to be an LP release. Once you talk about a CD reissue, all efforts at being original are moot.

30 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Earl Coleman “There’s Something About An Old Love” Xanadu LP

Ted Dunbar is a highlight here as he always is.

589150975525e3a84f1386f82d2f94f153fe19d8

I remember two of the tunes here were presented by Austrian Radio Jazz DJ Herwig Wurzer (the Austrian "Symphony Sid") in the 70´s . I never saw the record but I like the voice. 

It´s strange, I´m crazy ´bout sharp lookin woman, but to hear jazz vocal I prefer male vocals, Billy Eckstine, and of course Earl Coleman, and the Johnny Hartman with Coltrane. I think the Earl Coleman with Rollins is beautiful, I would have liked to hear a whole album of it. Besides the Charlie Parker Dial album I also like the Fats Navarro album where Earl Coleman sings I think it´s 4 songs. 

5 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

That's a rather dumb idea for a series then. This is a CD. If they want "original" then it has to be an LP release. Once you talk about a CD reissue, all efforts at being original are moot.

I don't disagree.  Seems sorta silly NOT to include bonus tracks if they're available and there's room on the CD.

On 6/22/2024 at 9:33 PM, Larry Kart said:

Oops, that's Johny Smith Small Group Sessions. Lovely music so far but what's on on those missing  (from my set) 53 tracks? I paid for them and would like to hear them.

oops -- there's nothing missing from the Johnny Smith set; I just miscounted.  BTW. while listening I asked myself while I take Smith seriously as jazz musician. I addition to his technique, I think it's his time; his  implacable sense of where "one" is.