Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Duke Ellington “Copenhagen 1958 (Bonus: After Hours 1950)” Storyville cd

Classic jazz done with Ellington style and grace. My kind of symphonies! It was a good night in Copenhagen, and the sound is decent.

86cb39a97310167f37bde87b15f250fb3aabd0c6

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Classic jazz done with Ellington style and grace. My kind of symphonies! It was a good night in Copenhagen, and the sound is decent.

86cb39a97310167f37bde87b15f250fb3aabd0c6

I like the "Afterhours" stuff too, 

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

That one's on the agenda for tomorrow!

Meanwhile,

NS00MjExLmpwZWc.jpegMy03MTk3LmpwZWc.jpeg

OC0zNjA0LmpwZWc.jpegNDYtNTQxNS5qcGVn.jpeg

OC04NjgwLmpwZWc.jpegNC04MzE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

I remember I have purchased "Descent into the Maelstrom" decades ago, it must have been in the 70´s and it was quite expensive. 
A very strange record: The title tune seems completely free like Cecil Taylor, but harder to understand than Cecil Taylor. Some tunes are with an obscure trio, where one is based on "You Stepped Out of a Dream" but what I often found annoying about Lennie whom I otherwise appreciate, is that he doesn´t find the time to play a theme properly, it also happens on the Paris 1965 tunes, beautiful ballads, but I would have liked to here the plain theme before the improvisations.
And some pieces sound like of 3 Hands are playing. This kind of overdubbing I can´t stand. 
I think I liked the trio tunes when I was young, but know the drummer and bassist sound very weak..... it doesn´t seem to be together.....

This one again to start the morning. Got to sleep in a bit more. . . Fiona the dachshund slept longer than usual.

[IMG]

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember I have purchased "Descent into the Maelstrom" decades ago, it must have been in the 70´s and it was quite expensive. 
A very strange record: The title tune seems completely free like Cecil Taylor, but harder to understand than Cecil Taylor. Some tunes are with an obscure trio, where one is based on "You Stepped Out of a Dream" but what I often found annoying about Lennie whom I otherwise appreciate, is that he doesn´t find the time to play a theme properly, it also happens on the Paris 1965 tunes, beautiful ballads, but I would have liked to here the plain theme before the improvisations.
And some pieces sound like of 3 Hands are playing. This kind of overdubbing I can´t stand. 
I think I liked the trio tunes when I was young, but know the drummer and bassist sound very weak..... it doesn´t seem to be together.....

This was cheap, only 1,000 yen but shipped from Japan so part of bulk purchase.

Strange record indeed, but I find Lennie kind of weird so no surprise there. I like Lennie's overdubbing - for instance I recently listened to a bunch of Conlon Nancarrow's player piano music - and enjoy it on other (Tristano) recordings too. OTOH, I recall not enjoying Bill Evans's overdubs...haven't listened for ages so will have to try them again.

Drummer Nick Stabulas on two of the trio selections (Roy Haynes is on the other two, no problems there but he's low in the mix) sounds strange and kind of heavy on the cymbals, but I overall like the trio tunes because they're not as motoric/metronomic as some Lennie trios can sound. Along those lines, I just reread an Ethan Iverson essay on Tristano that has interesting observations on Lennie's rhythm sections among other things.

Edited by T.D.