• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched--and listened to through the living room audio/visual system--the 90th Birthday tribute concert for Willie Nelson on CBS from the DVR.

Everyone brought their A game to this Willie fest and Lukas Nelson and Dave Matthews really impressed me--and I confess neither ever impressed me before. A well done, fun concert.

Willie-Nelson-and-Keith-Richards-Credit-

I love that Marion Brown Offering, featured a cut from it on BFT237.  Did not realize there was an Offering II.  Will need to see if I can find it at a sane price.

Here's what I'm listening to.  Interesting to me that Jones (to my ears) plays differently with the rhythm sections making up the variations of the GST than he does no other albums of the period.  These are elegant, but surprisingly forward-looking

image.jpeg.bea6787f29503da7e613ded56d05e469.jpeg

Edited by felser

20 minutes ago, felser said:

I love that Marion Brown Offering, featured a cut from it on BFT237.  Did not realize there was an Offering II.  Will need to see if I can find it at a sane price.

Here's what I'm listening to.  Interesting to me that Jones (to my ears) plays differently with the rhythm sections making up the variations of the GST than he does no other albums of the period.  These are elegant, but surprisingly forward-looking

Both of those MB Offerings on Venus (same personnel) have been in stock for 1500 yen at cdjapan. I recall you recommending Offering (I) on the BFT, so decided to go for them.

Re. Hank Jones, I just got this, on which he also seems to play a bit more "forward":

Ni01NTQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

13 hours ago, jazzbo said:

And now, a concert from one of my favorite years.

Grateful Dead, Dave’s Picks Volume 24

e841f62d2b8cb87d6005354280c3bf82b3d13b21

dafd1f2007ce211f48ec41b5907542f9c92f2d11.jpeg

I saw them at Winterland on New Years Eve '72/73

59 minutes ago, felser said:

I think I have the 45 RPM 'Direct-to-Disk' version of that with only 4 tracks

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Watched--and listened to through the living room audio/visual system--the 90th Birthday tribute concert for Willie Nelson on CBS from the DVR.

Everyone brought their A game to this Willie fest and Lukas Nelson and Dave Matthews really impressed me--and I confess neither ever impressed me before. A well done, fun concert.

Willie-Nelson-and-Keith-Richards-Credit-

I agree it was great. Still have it saved on our DVR.

MDctNjYwMC5qcGVn.jpeg

MzgtNzA4Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

MTctMjIyNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Two almost-totally different records here. The first one, which was released in real time, suffers (almost fatally) from a completely clueless/insensitive recording job, for which I might as well blame George Butler. There's a lot of quiet detail in the charts, but damned if you'd know it by a casual listen.

Butler did the same thing on Cirrus but that was a straight-ahead date, so not too much effort needed to sort it all out. This is not that. This is essentially/frequently  chamber music(ish) where all parts matter, so all parts should be heard equally. They are not. And the freer improvs are not at all balanced with even a touch of musicality.

I see where RVG remixed this for the CD. I guess he did what he could with what they gave him.

Peter Doell & Bob Belden handled the "new" album, and it's not nearly as much of a sonic mess. It's not perfect either. It's also less "abstract" music, so...go figure that. But when Harold Land sounds like he's out in the hall, something ain't right.

Both sessions are far better music than the recordings indicate. Listeners should not have to work this hard.

And now this one is going to be orphaned, right? That's too bad.

3 hours ago, T.D. said:

Both of those MB Offerings on Venus (same personnel) have been in stock for 1500 yen at cdjapan. I recall you recommending Offering (I) on the BFT, so decided to go for them.

Re. Hank Jones, I just got this, on which he also seems to play a bit more "forward":

Ni01NTQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Thank you!  I also just picked up that Watanabe from CDJapan along with several Great Jazz Trio titles and a lot of other good East Wind stuff, still working through that stack.  The prices were amazingly low, with shipping and tax still came in under $9 each

Edited by felser

9 hours ago, felser said:

Thank you!  I also just picked up that Watanabe from CDJapan along with several Great Jazz Trio titles and a lot of other good East Wind stuff, still working through that stack.  The prices were amazingly low, with shipping and tax still came in under $9 each

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

Excellent .... btw from the superb sounding reissue series "East Wind Masters Collection 1000" in 2015 ....

Yes, cdjapan had a huge batch of East Wind reissues come in at the end of May.  I preordered several and threw in a few other items incl. that Marion Brown Offering II. Dusty Groove also got most of the reissues, but it was cheaper to order from Japan.

Edited by T.D.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

Yes, cdjapan had a huge batch of East Wind reissues come in at the end of May.  I preordered several and threw in a few other items incl. that Marion Brown Offering II. Dusty Groove also got most of the reissues, but it was cheaper to order from Japan.

Reliable and excellent service by CDjapan 👍 ....