• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MC00MDQ2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Sonny Stitt - Blues for Duke (Muse, rec. 1975)

with a perfect rhythm section: Barry Harris, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins

Reminder for the Sonny Stitt/Barry Harris co-operation from 1972 on Cobblestone (with either Roy Brooks or Alan Dawson on drums) ....

On 1/26/2024 at 8:28 PM, soulpope said:

powell-bud-budplaysb-101b.jpg

Stupendous George Duvivier master class ....

Oh yeah, I know you are a big fan of Bud, we share that and I hope it will not last long that I can show you what I have learned from Bud. Allan loves to play Bud´s compositions, last year he did "Wail", "Dance of the Infidels" if I remember well. He was quite a few Bud tunes in his set lists. 

On this special record, there is some superb Bud on it, but it also has it´s faults at least for me as a musician: Some typical Bird numbers that didn´t enter in Bud´s own set lists, sound like the are played from sheet, and even more, the sheet they gave him was written for Bb instruments (tenor, trumpet) so it´s a whole tone up (typical B-flat numbers like "Big Foot" are not played in Bb but in C) . 

And.....I can´t hear the drummer !!!! 

Though I don´t know much about labels, I only knew that Bud recorded for Verve and BN, but the only Roulette Album he is on is "Return of Bud Powell" much later. 

So the two Roulettes that was published much later (this here, and another live from Birdland with Donald Byrd and Phil Woods) never were released during his life.....

Poor Bud, so much music here, and I doubt he got a penny for it....

50 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh yeah, I know you are a big fan of Bud, we share that and I hope it will not last long that I can show you what I have learned from Bud. Allan loves to play Bud´s compositions, last year he did "Wail", "Dance of the Infidels" if I remember well. He was quite a few Bud tunes in his set lists. 

On this special record, there is some superb Bud on it, but it also has it´s faults at least for me as a musician: Some typical Bird numbers that didn´t enter in Bud´s own set lists, sound like the are played from sheet ....

And.....I can´t hear the drummer !!!! 

Poor Bud, so much music here, and I doubt he got a penny for it....

Yep .... but on the expense on superbly recorded bass, so I can live woth that 😍😎 ....

Keith Jarrett "Treasure Island" Impulse/UMG reissue LP 2016

Got this for a bargain price, replacing a worn out OG. 

This has always been a favorite Jarrett Impulse, and all it really needs is more Sam Brown--wish he were on all tracks here.

treasure-island.jpg

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Keith Jarrett "Treasure Island" Impulse/UMG reissue LP 2016

Got this for a bargain price, replacing a worn out OG. 

This has always been a favorite Jarrett Impulse, and all it really needs is more Sam Brown--wish he were on all tracks here.

Yes.  It's a such a great record, isn't it!?!?

As for my favorite KJ "American Quartet" record, I'd be hard pressed to choose between Shades, Death & the Flower, and Treasure Island.  Too difficult to pick just one of them!  :)  

Edited by HutchFan

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Reminder for the Sonny Stitt/Barry Harris co-operation from 1972 on Cobblestone (with either Roy Brooks or Alan Dawson on drums) ....

Yep, Stitt and Harris (and Sam Jones) made a terrific series of albums Cobblestone & Muse, and -- aside from Constellation and Tune-Up -- no one seems to talk about them much. 

But I like them.  ;)