• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The new SACD version of Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel" 8 cd box set from Japan, a Tower Records exclusive, arrived last night via DHL. I listened to disc 3 last night and am listening to disc 1.

I know many of us were hoping that the tonal balance of this version would be improved. Well. . . I don't think that it really is. Listening to the SACD layer there are subtle improvements in the depth of the sound stage and some instances of dynamic contrast improved, but the overall "tone" of the music remains basically the same to my ears. I'm a bit challenged as I have been listening to the second (gold disc) Japanese version of this release for years and the separate 2 LP versions from Japan and in the "Complete" box that are based on the US Wilder remix. My copy of the original US box set is somewhere in my storage unit fifty miles away. When others get the set and compare directly there will be a moreo definitive comparison I am sure.

Anyway: I love the music, and the subtle improvements SACD brings are nice to listen for and hear.

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The new SACD version of Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel" 8 cd box set from Japan, a Tower Records exclusive, arrived last night via DHL. I listened to disc 3 last night and am listening to disc 1.

I know many of us were hoping that the tonal balance of this version would be improved. Well. . . I don't think that it really is. Listening to the SACD layer there are subtle improvements in the depth of the sound stage and some instances of dynamic contrast improved, but the overall "tone" of the music remains basically the same to my ears. I'm a bit challenged as I have been listening to the second (gold disc) Japanese version of this release for years and the separate 2 LP versions from Japan and in the "Complete" box that are based on the US Wilder remix. My copy of the original US box set is somewhere in my storage unit fifty miles away. When others get the set and compare directly there will be a moreo definitive comparison I am sure.

Anyway: I love the music, and the subtle improvements SACD brings are nice to listen for and hear.

Now on to discs 2a and 2b

Now spinning Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy from the Mosaic box. I need something to lift up my spirits. I got a Covid booster yesterday, my first Moderna shot, and it's pretty much wiped me out. Next time I'll make sure to stick with the Pfizer shot, which hasn't really affected me at all over 4 shots.

image.jpeg.c6c845d2604005bc7def2e47e56b3371.jpeg

A record that's always astounding, no matter how often I play it:

Ni0zOTIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

As heard on this set:

OS04NzE2LmpwZWc.jpeg

52 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

Good one!  :tup

16 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-3539371284.jpeg

IMO, every one of those Blakey records as a sextet -- with Fuller added -- are awesome.

Edited by HutchFan