• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Freddie Hubbard – Splash (Fantasy, 1981)

Splash_(Freddie_Hubbard_album).jpg.60cf7593321357bb4dc7f9c14cea84ee.jpg

First listen to this record. It's actually quite good, I'm surprised to say.

Clearly pop not bop. It's not quite disco jazz or smooth jazz. It really reminds me of the kinds of "jazz" music that London's Jazz FM (later and more accurately renamed Smooth FM) used to play in the early 90s: high sheen pop music with female vocals, similar to, but less accomplished than, Sade, and bobbing in what I assume was the wake of the similarly non-jazz Jazz Dance movement.

Anyway, judged as that sort of pop music, it's a successful and strong record. Not too much filler, and lots of dynamic hooks.

53 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Freddie Hubbard – Splash (Fantasy, 1981)

Splash_(Freddie_Hubbard_album).jpg.60cf7593321357bb4dc7f9c14cea84ee.jpg

First listen to this record. It's actually quite good, I'm surprised to say.

Clearly pop not bop. It's not quite disco jazz or smooth jazz. It really reminds me of the kinds of "jazz" music that London's Jazz FM (later and more accurately renamed Smooth FM) used to play in the early 90s: high sheen pop music with female vocals, similar to, but less accomplished than, Sade, and bobbing in what I assume was the wake of the similarly non-jazz Jazz Dance movement.

Anyway, judged as that sort of pop music, it's a successful and strong record. Not too much filler, and lots of dynamic hooks.

My memory, a bit hazy, of the Jazz Dance movement in London is that there was a very good dose of Jazz involved. Groups like I Dance Jazz danced to Blakey's Messengers and similar hard bop, some Pharaoh tunes were big too alongside some more Latin influenced Jazz tunes. This was the first time I saw dancing to Jazz as a fairly common occurrence in the Jazz Cafe, Dingwalls etc

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

My memory, a bit hazy, of the Jazz Dance movement in London is that there was a very good dose of Jazz involved. Groups like I Dance Jazz danced to Blakey's Messengers and similar hard bop, some Pharaoh tunes were big too alongside some more Latin influenced Jazz tunes. This was the first time I saw dancing to Jazz as a fairly common occurrence in the Jazz Cafe, Dingwalls etc

I wasn't there at all, so I am wrong. That is interesting to know. For some reason when I have seen jazz dance mentioned it tends to be in the context of a particular sort of very lite but rhythmic fusion from the late 70s, and smoother more urban contemporary equivalents from the early 80s. Sort of a precursor to acid jazz. I had no idea that people were dancing to stuff like Blakey.

Edited by Rabshakeh

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I wasn't there at all, so I am wrong. That is interesting to know. For some reason when I have seen jazz dance mentioned it tends to be in the context of a particular sort of very lite but rhythmic fusion from the late 70s, and smoother more urban contemporary equivalents from the early 80s. Sort of a precursor to acid jazz. I had no idea that people were dancing to stuff like Blakey

Well it was definitely a precursor and crossover into Acid Jazz. Started around the great Jazz Revival that brought Courtney Pine, Steve Williamson et al. I suspect may even have been bubbling under in the club scene prior

Here you go, not Blakey but Tommy Chase perhaps, but definitely IDJ

I didn't dance...

Buselli Wallarab Jazz Orchestra “The Gennett Suite” 2 cd set

A fascinating modernized suite of music inspired by classics from the Gennett label, and our David was involved here.

This put me in the mood for some Lee Wiley.

Lee Wiley “Manhattan Nights–The Complete Golden Years Studio Sessions” disc 1 of 4.

21be2c7d389e41a25ee8b2e46076fcbda7bd48bd
There are better sounding versions of most of the material in this set on cd, but this was where I first encountered these sides and they are quite listenable for the most part. And her singing! She was unique.

36 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Well it was definitely a precursor and crossover into Acid Jazz. Started around the great Jazz Revival that brought Courtney Pine, Steve Williamson et al. I suspect may even have been bubbling under in the club scene prior

Here you go, not Blakey but Tommy Chase perhaps, but definitely IDJ

I didn't dance...

Interesting. Thanks! I'm not sure I would have danced either.