Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

herestothepeople.png?format=1000w

Sonny is just nonstop on this one. The full impact is blunted because it sounds like they hadn't yet figured out how to get a mix between room sound and his clip on mike. He's such a physical player that he inhabits the entire space, and this mix diminishes that, perhaps even negates it.

But for most of this record, it's like when the RECORD light came on, Sonny started playing and didn't stop until they told him to.

Overall, a bit of a stealth Sonny Rollins record, one to be listened to with a visual picture of this big guy walking around playing his tenor with ease and aplomb and an imaginary aural picture of being inside that entire room, not just inside the microphone. 

6 hours ago, rostasi said:

080301.jpg

Who the hell is that? Are those quarter notes or sperms? 

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

71E1CzxscIL._SX522_.jpg

Pulled this one out in an attempt to identify a track heard on an episode of Lincoln Lawyer we watched tonight.

I love that album so much. All those great tunes. And that fantastic line up, really an allstar thing. This is really a good afro-cuban - bop ("cu-bop") record, much better than the half hearted attempt they made with Charlie Parker on the LP "Siesta". 
But I like also the remaining straight ahead tunes. "La Villa" is a thing I love to play live. So fine to play, really fast.

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

herestothepeople.png?format=1000w

Sonny is just nonstop on this one. The full impact is blunted because it sounds like they hadn't yet figured out how to get a mix between room sound and his clip on mike. He's such a physical player that he inhabits the entire space, and this mix diminishes that, perhaps even negates it.

But for most of this record, it's like when the RECORD light came on, Sonny started playing and didn't stop until they told him to.

Overall, a bit of a stealth Sonny Rollins record, one to be listened to with a visual picture of this big guy walking around playing his tenor with ease and aplomb and an imaginary aural picture of being inside that entire room, not just inside the microphone. 

Who the hell is that? Are those quarter notes or sperms? 

Very interesting remarks: 
I was lucky I really tried to buy every new Sonny Rollins record in my youth, when I heard him live. All those great Milestone albums "Cuttin´ Edge", "Easy Living" "Don´t Stop the Carnaval", "No Question" or how the 1979 album was titled, but somewhere in the 80´s I lost the trace. Just when I got  the "Road Trips" from my wife I learned more about the late styled Rollins. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

had

Pulled this one out in an attempt to identify a track heard on an episode of Lincoln Lawyer we watched tonight.

I was just going to comment on that track which I also heard in that episode about an hour ago.  I admit I wouldn't have known it was KD if they hadn't said so in the dialogue. 

17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Miles Davis "Someday My Prince Will Come"Analogue Productions SACD

Miles-Davis-Someday-My-Prince-Will-Come.

I think I bought this almost 50 years ago, but it was a Doublealbum with actually 2 Records: "Round Midnite" from 1956 or so, and "Someday My Prince will come" as the second record.

In any case. Then I didn´t really like the "Someday My Prince will come" album, didn´t like the tune, that I found to "kitschy" and the general lack of energy. 
See, I was more that kind of "angry kid" and dug the hard stuff, the pushing the music forward and get more further "out". 

So, for a boy of 14-16 years this was not really the stuff I dug. 

12 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Freddie Hubbard “Red Clay” CTI King Jazz RVG series UHQCD

ca5e7dff49355f4c1866d80af4325f84a5bac224

This disc has great mastering and sound.

The music of my youth. Boy, how much did we dig this, all them players were our heroes, it was what happened then. And since I was somehow in the middle of the position of still acoustic jazz and the beginning of electric jazz. 

We all hummed that "Red Clay" ,  hummed the tricky bass line.....
And later, all of us great VSOP fans hearing the live version of "Clay" on the "Colloseum" album....with Wayne, Freddie, Herbie, Ron and our hero Tony ! 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I bought this almost 50 years ago, but it was a Doublealbum with actually 2 Records: "Round Midnite" from 1956 or so, and "Someday My Prince will come" as the second record.

In any case. Then I didn´t really like the "Someday My Prince will come" album, didn´t like the tune, that I found to "kitschy" and the general lack of energy. 
See, I was more that kind of "angry kid" and dug the hard stuff, the pushing the music forward and get more further "out". 

So, for a boy of 14-16 years this was not really the stuff I dug. 

The music of my youth. Boy, how much did we dig this, all them players were our heroes, it was what happened then. And since I was somehow in the middle of the position of still acoustic jazz and the beginning of electric jazz. 

We all hummed that "Red Clay" ,  hummed the tricky bass line.....
And later, all of us great VSOP fans hearing the live version of "Clay" on the "Colloseum" album....with Wayne, Freddie, Herbie, Ron and our hero Tony ! 

Was that a late 70s CBS double called ‘Miles Davis and John Coltrane’? I have that one somewhere - always liked it.

25 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Was that a late 70s CBS double called ‘Miles Davis and John Coltrane’? I have that one somewhere - always liked it.

I don´t remember, yeah it must have been around 1977, so I was a bit older, 18. It had a colour photo of Miles, but obviously from much later, from the Bitches Brew time, and I liked the first LP, ok on the 2´nd LP I liked what Mobley and Trane do on "Someday...", and maybe there was a standard blues in F, but in general I liked the groups with Philly J.J and then with Tony Williams much more than the more polished Wynton Kelly, Jimmy Cobb thing. Somehow for me something was missing . I had bought before the Miles at Antibes 1963 and it was the greatest for me. 

Milt Jackson "In a New Setting" Limelight/Verve cd

[img]https://www.hifitest.de/images/testbilder/big/milt-jackson-in-a-new-setting-limelight-speakers-corner-schallplatte-24631.jpg[/img]

Starting the morning off with some swinging "bells" . . . .

Arranged By – Milt Jackson
Bass – Bob Cranshaw
Drums – Connie Kay
Piano – McCoy Tyner
Tenor Saxophone – Jimmy Heath
Vibraphone – Milt Jackson
Recorded December, 1964