Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Well I prefer his earlier recordings  in the Mulligan 4tet and was glad to find these 2 comps

which were issued in Japan only.

46097778nr.jpg

Same Baker preference here and those are two great compilations of his quartet work with Freeman!

43 minutes ago, BillF said:

👍

Now playing:

41l4t7sYPyL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I haven´t heard it but I remember well that I picked up a similar album also with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins with Clifford Jordan added, I remember some really fine versions of "Old Devil Moon" and "St. Thomas" and a medium tempo version of "I Should Care". It was very fine. 
I heard some Bob Berg somewhere, he was fine, I think he was somehow the post Trane generation like Dave Liebman. But otherwise than "Lieb" , he somehow didn´t find his place in the Miles Davis Group, but maybe this was not his fault, it was just, that otherwise than the Miles from 73 to 75 was exiting, the late 80´s band just sucked, no good tunes, too much synthies and drum machines.....

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

This one again–it was sounding so good.

Jonathon Blake “Homeward Bound” Blue Note cd

04d0ca2e3d86d4537aeb317b111c7d58e56e4cdf

Acoustic Bass – Dezron Douglas
Alto Saxophone – Immanuel Wilkins
Drums, Producer – Johnathan Blake
Piano, Keyboards – David Virelles
Vibraphone – Joel Ross

Tasty lineup, thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware of it.

51P0XTJpN0L._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Ricky Ford - American-African Blues (Candid, 1993)
with Jaki Byard, Milt Hinton, and Ben Riley

Outstanding!

EDIT:
I first heard this music many years ago when I downloaded the album from emusic.com.  I've been meaning to get a CD version for years, and a few weeks ago I stumbled across a copy.  So good to hear this music in full fidelity.  I don't really consider myself an audiophile -- but the jump from MP3 to CD is significant when it comes to AQ.  I'm hearing all sorts of "new" sonic/musical details.  :) 

I find myself upgrading quite a few of the MP3 albums I bought on emusic.com back in the day to CDs -- especially as prices of CDs continue to fall.

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

😁👍

Yes a good one from the series with the Metropole Orchestra from the Netherlands.

These are here:

CD    Candoli Brothers    Pete & Conte Candoli and the Metropole Orchestra    1950/92  

CD    Holman,Bill    Further Adventures - Metropole Orchestra    1995/96    Koch Jazz

CD    Metropole Orchestra    I wished on the moon - Bill Perkins    1990    Candid
CD    Metropole Orchestra    Saxophone Dreams - Lee Konitz    1997    Koch Jazz
CD    Metropole Orchestra    Andy Martin & Metropole Orchestra    1997    Mons
CD    Metropole Orchestra    A flower is a lovesome thing - B.Cooper/B.Shank    1998    Koch
CD    Metropole Orchestra    Out Of This World - Bob Brookmeyer    1998    Koch
CD    Metropole Orchestra    Twilight - Bart van Lier / Vice Mendoze    1998    Koch
CD    Metropole Orchestra    A Beautiful Friendship - Neil Richard Singers    1998    Koch Jazz
CD    Metropole Orchestra    Love Walked In -  Jiggs Wigham    1999    Koch
CD    Metropole Orchestra    LPyramid - Lew Tabackin    1999    Koch
CD    Metropole Orchestra    Only A Rose - Zoot Sims    1999    Koch

On 8/1/2023 at 4:44 PM, HutchFan said:

Re Hutcherson

Have seen this at CD Japan so I should hurry :-]

Edited by jazzcorner

NS02OTc1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Sammy Davis Jr. - The Wham of Sam (Warner Archives, 1994)
featuring Marty Paich & his Dek-Tette

and

ODAtMzM4NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Marlene VerPlanck Loves Johnny Mercer (Audiophile, rec. 1978)
I keep coming back to this album.  The cuts are short (mostly between 2 and 3 minutes), and there are no instrumental solos.  Throughout, the focus is squarely on VerPlanck.  That might not sound like a formula for success -- but it works.  VerPlanck's voice and interpretations carry the day.  Mercer's lyrics leap to life, and the band swings hard in their supporting role.  Pizzarelli especially. 

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

51P0XTJpN0L._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Ricky Ford - American-African Blues (Candid, 1993)
with Jaki Byard, Milt Hinton, and Ben Riley

Outstanding!

EDIT:
I first heard this music many years ago when I downloaded the album from emusic.com.  I've been meaning to get a CD version for years, and a few weeks ago I stumbled across a copy.  So good to hear this music in full fidelity.  I don't really consider myself an audiophile -- but the jump from MP3 to CD is significant when it comes to AQ.  I'm hearing all sorts of "new" sonic/musical details.  :) 

I find myself upgrading quite a few of the MP3 albums I bought on emusic.com back in the day to CDs -- especially as prices of CDs continue to fall.

Well, about audio I can´t say much, for me it is important to hear the drums, especially if it is a topnotch-drummer like Ben Riley. I never had an MP3 and don´t know about sonic/musical details. 50 years of playing music take their toll but I´m glad I still can hear a record without turning up the volume to the highest volume and still can enojy what I hear without causing noise pain for my wife. I´m only pissed of if a studio record is done in a way where you don´t hear the full range of the sound of the ride cymbal etc. 

Stellar musicians here. Though I must admit I´m a bit surprised about Milt Hinton. I don´t know much about him, he seems to be from a much older generation than Byard, who played with Mingus, and Riley who played with Monk. 

I have not seen or heard Ricky Ford since the time he was in Mingus´ Band, where he followed George Adams. I didn´t catch the Adams-Pullen-Band, but caught the band with Ricky Ford twice, it was the greatest. Jack Walrath and Ricky Ford the frontline......