Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

How many times have I bought “Ballads”? A number of times.

Right before my wife “retired” and my finances took a nosedive I ordered this and “A Love Supreme” from the “Verve Acoustic Sounds SACD” series that Universal Japan has put out in SHM-SACD (non-hybrid) format.

I’m breaking in a new transport and have a new amp that is almost broken in and later I’ll do some direct comparisons between other issues and this one but damn this sounds really good. Beautiful lp facsimile gatefold as well!

6a2ccc7729810f8f50da4556b060cc88c6d67aa1

John Coltrane was a fantastic ballad player all the time. It was only with Miles Davis that Trane usually laid out on them. 
When Trane died, Pharoah Sanders kept on with the great ballad tradition. "Welcome to Love" is an album that proves it. 
One of my favourite ballads played by Trane always was "I wanna talk about you". 

I´ve never bought an album more than just one time. I wouldn´t know what to do with them. Those I had on LP I didn´t re-buy on CD only with the exeption if the original album was destroyed or lost somewhere which seldom happens. I have heard those expressions "SACD" but don´t really know what it is. 

14 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-486672320.jpeg

This is a nice little record and done about the time I heard Chet live for the first time (1979). Though I was already an active player and had been a jazz fan since my early teens, the name Chet Baker was completly unknown to me until there was a title story about him in Jazz Podium around 1978. Though this was too much about his former drug affairs, I couldn´t believe it. The man on the cover photo looks like a happy middle aged guy in casual look, enjoying a beautiful late afternoon in the park. I had thought than that drug users are more hippie style and lookin´ weird. 

The music is great, and I think trio settings like this one were ideal for him. Though first I was pissed of that there is no drummer, I soon understood that this music can be enjoyed even without drums. 
Later, Baker used a flute player but I somehow don´t have much affection for flute sound, especially when that guy Nicola Stilo got too much in the high register which hearts my ears. 

I have seen Chet Baker so many times in my live. 
The last time it was only a half year before he died and he played wonderful. 

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

71eCBz9VOkL._SX595_.jpg

I don´t have this but Lous Hayes is such a great drummer. I once saw him with Dizzy Gillespie and it was magic.....

1 hour ago, Pim said:

IMG-4370.jpg

It´s a very good album but the best stuff was still to come. My favourite albums of him are from 1965-1967, his most creative period. If I should choose only two of them it might be "All Seeing Eye" and "Schizophrenia". 
The next Shorter I have is only from my favourite group "VSOP" . 
I saw him live in 2005 but it was a more subtile music, it didn´t have that power that I love. 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

John Coltrane was a fantastic ballad player all the time. It was only with Miles Davis that Trane usually laid out on them. 
When Trane died, Pharoah Sanders kept on with the great ballad tradition. "Welcome to Love" is an album that proves it. 
One of my favourite ballads played by Trane always was "I wanna talk about you". 

I´ve never bought an album more than just one time. I wouldn´t know what to do with them. Those I had on LP I didn´t re-buy on CD only with the exeption if the original album was destroyed or lost somewhere which seldom happens. I have heard those expressions "SACD" but don´t really know what it is. 

I sell or give away many duplicates, some I keep and compare. I have lots of time on my hands and I am interested in music playback.

It's rather easy to google SACD if interested.

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have seen Chet Baker so many times in my live. 
The last time it was only a half year before he died and he played wonderful. 

We had him in a privat concert in 1979 in Koblenz (Germany).

I missed to take fotos.

Here is a private CD I made from radio broadcasts- Excellent Trio music. Had filled it up with Archie Shepp

43263777jv.jpg

An other one with very intimate music (Duo) is this one:

46095503if.jpg