• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Harish Raghavan “Calls For Action”

I so much want to love this album. It features two of my favorite current players (Joe Ross and Immanuel Wilkins) and it is very well-recorded. But the drumming just seems so wrong to me, throughout.

This is roughly how I felt about it. I enjoyed Ross' playing but found Wilkins disappointing, probably because I did not enjoy the writing for him, rather than his own playing. There were some nice bits. I know that others on the forum hold this record in high regard, though.

4 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

This is roughly how I felt about it. I enjoyed Ross' playing but found Wilkins disappointing, probably because I did not enjoy the writing for him, rather than his own playing. There were some nice bits. I know that others on the forum hold this record in high regard, though.

I actually really like Wilkins here--but that relentless Cobham/Bruford like drumming--just hate it for this music.

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Since Bird was one of my earliest musical influences, I should have some of his LPs (Savoy, Dial, Verve, the Massey Hall Concert and 3 Columbia albums of live broadcasts from Birdland) , but this one seems unknown to me. The photo seems to be the same like the painted picture of Bird on the cover of the Columbia release "One Night at Birdland 1950). 

I´m not a collector of remainders or false starts or studio talk, but if it is some live set with a good group (not a moment´s pick up with players unfamiliar with Bird´s music), I might buy it. 

The sound is generally acceptable. They are probably air checks. There are no liner notes, just photos from other sessions. Most of the musicians in the first two dates are unidentified (perhaps local musicians). The Birdland date features Bud, Mingus, Art Taylor and Candido on congas.  On the last date, he’s sitting in with the Chet Baker Quartet  

See https://www.discogs.com/master/1151100-Charlie-Parker-The-Bird-You-Never-Heard

Edited by Brad