• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've spent the morning on a bit of a 90s free jazz revival kick, with Chicago Octet / Tentet and Bikini Tapes' Atomic.

Both excellent albums. I really miss that period's mix of fire music, tight group arrangements and very varied songwriting.

In retrospect, it's striking how alien the spirit of the music is to the original 60s New Thing that inspired it. Even so, it was an exciting time, which left some great records. 

16 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup

17 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

iu-5.jpeg

I love Tadd Dameron´s compositions, but I also love his unique piano style. The way how he comps , those broad chords, and also his little solos, not so much virtousity, but little beauties. 

For me it was a big, big disappointment that he doesn´t play himself on it. I don´t really know the reasons, the only thing I know is that it was toward the end of his live, and in his last years he was very very sick and had a terminal cancer. So maybe it was like Mingus´ on his last record, where he didn´t play bass because he became ill....