Posted Images

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

518NpgPBJnL._UX500_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg.webp

Ā 

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R.I.P. to trumpeter John McNeil.

In his honor, I'm now listening to his fantastic debut album from 1978:

71EKrYzTZQL._SX599_.jpg

Though I had never read the name, I got intested seeing that long line of best of best players (Brackin, Berg, Reid, Hart). On wikipedia infos is not much, almost nothing about him, but I see he had played with Thad Jones - Mel Lewis Big band, and read that his live long lady was Lolly Bienenfeld.

Now, that means I must have heard and seen him with Thad Jones-Mel Lewis. I saw them probably in the last year of there activities. After Thad Jones had left, it was not anymore the fantastic band.Ā 

Lolly Bienenfeld was a solo trombonist in that band. I never had heard here name before or later, but itĀ“s such a bizarre name you just donĀ“t forget it.Ā 

Just now, soulpope said:

Never heard that name before .... these loose ends of jazz music ....

well at that concert I think it was at Viena Concert House there was a "Programmheft" with pictures and short bio of all members. Some of them became famous: Steve Coleman and Dick Oatts on alto, Jim McNeely on piano, Jesper Lundgaard on bass......
They also sold an LP from the band from the same year, recorded in Polonia. So they had a lot of .....how is that new word "merchandizing" ? I mean go to concert, buy an info with fotos and descriptions, and an LP.....Ā 
Lolly Bienenfeld I think I remember was a shorter and bigger young women who was a very technical trombonist, maybe somehow like Tommy Turk....., so I think as much as I remember after almost 50 years, she was quite a crowd pleaser in that sense.Ā 

3 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

well at that concert I think it was at Viena Concert House there was a "Programmheft" with pictures and short bio of all members. Some of them became famous: Steve Coleman and Dick Oatts on alto, Jim McNeely on piano, Jesper Lundgaard on bass......
They also sold an LP from the band from the same year, recorded in Polonia. So they had a lot of .....how is that new word "merchandizing" ? I mean go to concert, buy an info with fotos and descriptions, and an LP.....Ā 
Lolly Bienenfeld I think I remember was a shorter and bigger young women who was a very technical trombonist, maybe somehow like Tommy Turk....., so I think as much as I remember after almost 50 years, she was quite a crowd pleaser in that sense.Ā 

You have a good memory about concerts .... mine is fading unfortunately .... saw (too) many concerts back then and didn't keep a written record .... but at least the not so few highlights are still with me (anytime) .... and I have my best buddy "blacksaint" to refresh experiences .....

45 minutes ago, soulpope said:

You have a good memory about concerts .... mine is fading unfortunately .... saw (too) many concerts back then and didn't keep a written record .... but at least the not so few highlights are still with me (anytime) .... and I have my best buddy "blacksaint" to refresh experiences .....

I also didnĀ“t keep a written record, but it seems that especially those earlier years in my jazz career were the key years, and getting older I remember them very well, but would not remember when concerts in the 90Ā“s - 2000Ā“s took place.Ā 

But once again, those teenage years in the 70Ā“s were key years, I practically "lived" in the jazz joints, even went to school after the "afterhours", having a short catnap and goin to school, especially at joints like Freddie still at Schottenfeld-Gasse, where you had jazz until 04.00 and anyway I was a kind of "maskottchen" for the more maternal waitresses....., I was weird but well educated and not doinĀ“t shit, and I loved THEM.... they was like older sisters to me.....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Lolly Bienenfeld was a solo trombonist in that band. I never had heard here name before or later, but itĀ“s such a bizarre name you just donĀ“t forget it.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Never heard that name before .... these loose ends of jazz music ....

Ā 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Thanks for remembering her ...

https://www.discogs.com/de/artist/743742-Lolly-BienenfeldĀ