So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, rostasi said:

Steve Weber (g, vo)
Gerard Malanga, Ingrid Superstar (performer)
Velvet Underground
Marion Brown (as) Scotty Holt (b) Ronald Shannon Jackson (d)
Allen Ginsberg (spoken word) Peter Orlovsky (performer)
Peter Rawson (g) Tuli Kupferberg, Viki Pollon (vo)
Ishmael Reed (spoken word)
Andy Warhol (silence)

image.jpeg.04e524ef7424b4d97d171f0c141718a9.jpeg

👍

• Replies 83k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My dachshund listening partner is sleepy this morning. After a day of rain there's a still, cool feel to this morning and sitting in front of the stereo is a great way to start the day.

Now playingNC02MzI4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Disc 1, Xanadu 2 cd set. 
Al Cohn/Dexter Gordon "True Blue & Silver Blue"

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

My dachshund listening partner is sleepy this morning. After a day of rain there's a still, cool feel to this morning and sitting in front of the stereo is a great way to start the day.

Now playingNC02MzI4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Disc 1, Xanadu 2 cd set. 
Al Cohn/Dexter Gordon "True Blue & Silver Blue"

I think I have it somewhere in the shelves and listened to it once. 
I think I remember one remark in the liner notes: They put down the  better selling CBS releases like "Homecoming" and so on, and stated that THIS is the real comeback of Dex to the states. 
I really did disagree because the Dexter of the late 70´s until his death was more modern and did more than just straight ahead mainstream, there was much more tension and suspans in it, especially the contrast between Dexter´s relaxed laid back phrasing and the modern, pushing rhythm sections. 
Sure there are topnotch musician on it, Barry Harris was as near to Bud as anyone could be, and to Monk, not only musically, but also in real live. 

I never have heard about Sam Noto. Is it possible, that he didn´t become famous as far away as we are in Europe ? We all know who Blue Mitchell was, but Sam Noto ? Never heard....

Sam Noto has a few excellent releases on Xanadu, he was a very decent player.

I think "True Blue" and "Silver Blue" are very satisfying listens--all players are excellent and they are good bebop jam records.

Now Playing:

Grateful Dead “Friend of the Devils: April 1978” 2024 box set, first show

Excellent sound!

eefb98fa109dedfdf08cc9c5baad2b97435e578c

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

817FRlKzL+L._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

All Prestige albums of Miles are excellent, especially those with the first quintet. Oh yeah, Philly J.J. on "Salt Peanuts". 

And on Working if I remember right there might be "Woody´n You" with that typically arranged out chorus, from the original Dizzy Charts, obviously arranged by John Lewis.....

And Trane is so strong on that, Miles tone, Garlands piano, Paul´s bass, and my "buddy" Philly J.J., man they were for me something like maybe other heroes of maybe some sport, or some film for other kids back than. 

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

41CIzn82x4L._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Herbie was so great on BN, but tell me when he was not great ? My favourite from the pianists, who were more or less "young stars in the early 30´s" when I first heard them.....
There were two leagues in my school: The one was more torwards Hancock, and the others more torwards Chick Corea. Both were giants.