Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Gheorghe, you can see the definition of "Acid Jazz" here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_jazz

The "Legends of Acid Jazz" series repackaged soul-jazz and jazz-funk music originally recorded in the late-60s and early-70s for Prestige. Typically, CDs in the series contain 2 complete LPs.

Whatever you might want to call it, the music is fabulous -- if you enjoy those jazz sub-genres.

oh I see, well I never heard that, but that mixture of jazz instrumentist and DJ whatever it is, I fear is not for me. 

I don´t even really understand what a DJ or DJane today makes. I see them with Headphones, and moving and always pushing buttons or so, but don´t know what´s so great about them. My wife tried to explain it to me with mixing sounds or so, but I still didn´t understand nothing😉

Was that last Miles Davis LP that I never listen to, "Doop Bop" a kind of Acid Jazz ? 

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Two by Lou Donaldson:

MjMtMjkyMC5qcGVn.jpeg

and

LmpwZWc.jpeg

I have that "Natural Soul" CD since I bought it in the 90´s or early 2000´s when there was a lot of Japan-Import BN CDs (Toshiba Series or so). 

Though not exactly my stuff, I spinned it sometimes, my wife liked it..., but in general all those LD albums is a bit too much for me. 

I like the one he made with Blakey at Birdland 1954, and the "Date with Jimmy Smith Vol. 1 and 2" with Hank Mobley, Donald Byrd and Art Blakey", maybe "Blues Walk" alltough this has a bit a boring drummer and perc., too smooth for my tastes.....

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Disc 1

4547366638936.jpg

Strange, but I never bought Big Fun, because I had heard that it is more made out of remainders from other sessions. 
I think I have heard somewhere that it has "Ife" as the only then newer track from 1974 or so, anyway when I saw Miles first time. 
Ife with Dave Liebman was a highlight of that evening when I first saw that legend they rote books about.....

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Strange, but I never bought Big Fun, because I had heard that it is more made out of remainders from other sessions. 
I think I have heard somewhere that it has "Ife" as the only then newer track from 1974 or so, anyway when I saw Miles first time. 
Ife with Dave Liebman was a highlight of that evening when I first saw that legend they rote books about.....

Ife I think was recorded in '72. All the items in "Big Fun" were recorded between '69 and '72. It is absolutely essential to my jazz library, fantastic music. You should check it out.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Ife I think was recorded in '72. All the items in "Big Fun" were recorded between '69 and '72. It is absolutely essential to my jazz library, fantastic music. You should check it out.

Maybe I should, I think you are right, from historical point of view it might be interesting, case 69 is still mostly acoustic, and 72 was more that indian influenced style with sitar and tablas......, shortly before I heard him with Reggie Lucas and Pete Cosey and Dave Liebman.....
Maybe then as a kid I was a bit influenced by Miles words about the album "I´ll be tired of it before the day ends, that´s 4 years old music....", that´s why I didn´t buy it when I was just on the pulse of the time at that moment 5 decades ago....

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Probably keeping it in for another day or two. A lot of music going on 

Seems like Konitz recorded in a duo setting with about a million pianists.  But none of them surpass Konitz's work with Solal, IMO.

Along with Duplicity, I'm especially partial to this one:

71KHgvS2G9L._SX522_.jpg

11 hours ago, dougcrates said:

NS04MDc1LmpwZWc.jpeg

One of Herbie's finest hours, I think.  (Among many others.)

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

Buster Williams (!!) ....

Oh, HAIL yes.