• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most important for my entertainment are  good melodies. Here is one with a great trombone section 

Discovery DS-891 - John [Towner] Williams & Co Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen "Here's What I'm Here For" - rec.  1957 

(Original released as Bethlehem BCB-6025)

42651178zx.jpg

42651179nu.jpg

42651180bt.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
text

17 hours ago, optatio said:

Oh yes - from my shelf ...

Mingus-21-1_stitch (Copy).jpg

Yep, in mine too. I was still a hi school kid then, but I remember I was a bit disappointed since my point of departure was the band with Dolphy and Jakie Byard, and I had hoped that if 1964 was so many "steps beyond" but still had sections of the grooviest swing I ever had heard, I had hoped that 6 years later Mingus would be even further out. I had not known that 1970 was a very bad time for Mingus, but on a video I saw how he was on "autopilot" on those sessions from 1970. No real fire.....well Bobby Jones is very good, but I think there was a racial problem too and he just was there when Mingus was not really Mingus....
Bobby Jones lived in Germany I think I remember, once met his widow and his stepdaughter, a fine chick than, she used to sing some songs with our band....

16 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

I know that you love that record and me too ! 

Dexter was one of my early heroes. I think at first hearing me and my friend was a bit unnerved by that laid back phrasing and some other points, but after a week or so we became heavy "Dexter Addicts". We even tried to imitate his speaking voice, I think I still can do it, even much easier with my old man´s voice at 65 😄

I love that record because it is a reunion of 3 of the front leaders of the 1940´s bop scene. Each of those three (Dex, Bud, Klook) had "invented" bop on his respective instrument.

Who else could play such first hand bop stuff like "Scrapple from the Apple" or "Night in Tunisia" like those men ???
It´s a vintage bop record.
And it shows another important thing: You know how Bud had become uneven, Paris and Europe must have bored him, since those "At Home" recordings ar just painful things, but with congenial partners like on this occasion, or with Don Byas, Art Blakey, Charles Mingus, Coleman Hawkins, Johnny Griffin or even Dizzy Gillespie on some European albums was the occasion when Bud was Bud again. He is like in his prime here and on the Dizzy with the Double Six and others....

17 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Playing through some Signature dates

61vvoLvjAYL.jpg

81JoPNf4BEL._SX522_.jpg

Oscar Pettiford's (just 21 years old) solo in the latter's The Man I Love is unforgettable. Even his intense breathing is recorded.

image.jpeg.eaee5ed7a8dbd1d3f9a01e0ffeb66c50.jpeg

This album was both my introduction to Dexter Gordon and my introduction to jazz. I think it formed in my mind an inescapable image of what jazz is.

I love that Gordon material. If you want to check out a sonic upgrade, the two cd set on Muzak Japan sounds amazing--the best I've ever heard this material on LP or cd.

Right now

It was my wife’s birthday yesterday and I didn’t get much listening in but helped her have a fun day.

This cool morning I wanted to sleep in late but Fiona the dachshund had other plans. Certainly was a nice little walk and I’m starting off the listening with disc 3 of this interesting “anthology” tribute 4 cd set:

Jazz Celebration: A Tribute to Carl Jefferson

b82b9c1e82f90b3ec998cb955767e927bda4b025

41 minutes ago, mhatta said:

Oscar Pettiford's (just 21 years old) solo in the latter's The Man I Love is unforgettable. Even his intense breathing is recorded.

image.jpeg.eaee5ed7a8dbd1d3f9a01e0ffeb66c50.jpeg

This album was both my introduction to Dexter Gordon and my introduction to jazz. I think it formed in my mind an inescapable image of what jazz is.

Incredible ! It  was also MY FIRST Gordon album. But then I think what I liked most was the well recorded cymbals of Albert Heath......

But it was not my introduction to jazz. Mine was "'Steamin´" and then was "The Great Concert of Charles Mingus". The latter was of enormous impact on me !!! It opened  EVERYTHING for me !