So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

54 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

They form a good part of my collection. I agree with you, lots of terrific stuff.

I recently found a list of French shop FNAC's list of greatest ever jazz records. Lots of French stuff in there, unsurprisingly.

Most of it Grappelli, obviously, but a fair bit of adventurous French stuff that I hadn't heard before. Accordionist Richard Galliano has been a good find.

Edited by Rabshakeh

• Replies 82.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I recently found a list of French shop FNAC's list of greatest ever jazz records. Lots of French stuff in there, unsurprisingly.

Most of it Grappelli, obviously, but a fair bit of adventurous French stuff that I hadn't heard before. Accordionist Richard Galliano has been a good find.

At the time I found lots of great albums by following players from Sclavis and Texier's bands.

Dominique Pifarelly, Vincent Courtois, Francois Raulin, Yves Robert, Michel Marre, Francois Courneloup, Julien Lourau, Sebastian Texier

all come to mind. Spellings may be a bit Anglocentric and awry...apologies to our French colleagues.

I hoovered up Label Bleu religiously especially when at Paris Jazz Corner

Edited by mjazzg

Ahmad Jamal – MacanudoMacanudo_(album).jpg.dcd11dac1147239274aae83cc4851196.jpg

This is a cool record. Wrong genres for everyone but it isn't not good at any point. Jamal knew exactly how to land every one of those notes.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

OS0xODY4LmpwZWc.jpeg

My0zNDI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

A very effective 1980 reminder for when Miles had yet to return.

I always find it strange that everyone else wasn't rushing to explore this era of Miles Davis. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

12 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I always find it strange that everyone else wasn't rushing to explore this era of Miles Davis. 

Miles wasn't there and the neo-classic backlash was proceeding more or less unimpeded.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Miles wasn't there and the neo-classic backlash was proceeding more or less unimpeded.

Before that though. All that modal and spiritual stuff in the 1970s: Why did almost none of those players explore the avenues opened by IASW? Lots of examples in Japan and a many in Europe too; that record must really have landed in those countries. But few examples among the bigger names in the US. It’s such an obvious platform to explore undiscovered space.

The Kikuchi record is firmly in the Get up With It continuum. That stuff either scared or disgusted most "jazz musicians", it was just too much architecture and too much palatte.

This Miles Bootleg Series just skipped over all of that. I contend that it still scares people.

If you get (up with) it to any degree, check out this Kikuchi side and give it a few times through to open up. It's a good',in imo.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

If you get (up with) it to any degree, check out this Kikuchi side and give it a few times through to open up. It's a good',in imo.

I know the record and I second your recommendation. 

But it is only one of many Japanese jazz records from the 1970s that are clearly marked by the influence of electric Miles. Kikuchi's own Wishes is a good example. Or Hino's Double Rainbow. Often Japanese records of the era have one electric side, strongly influenced by Miles Davis, and one acoustic side. 

I get the point that Miles' electric turn upset a lot of people, but there's plenty of non-fusion electric jazz on the US scene. Its just that the avenues being explored by electric-curious bop musicians in the US in the US in e.g. 1972 aren't Miles Davis'.

Maybe this is a question that could form its own thread. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

14 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

That Sclavis album is a great one ... I also really like Henri Texier's series from that time (An Indian's week, for instance)... 

I listened to the Joe Locke again, warming the amp up after a short walk with Fiona the dachshund in the cool morning air.

Now disc 1 of the 2 cd set from Blue Note, the late Wayne Shorter, first release from a series of material he collated before his passing, “Celebration.” A live show from Stockholm in 2014. Very nice.

6ed6564fe2f0adb8595a0b5bed9fd42ab13a3fd7

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

And the whole Carnet series is another one. 

Yes, indeed (even though I prefer the Sclavis Trio you played).... Back then, I also liked the Bojan Z albums like Yopla, will need to revisit, it's been a while.... (Ah, and there are also some nice Christian Escoude albums on Gitanes from that decade)

23 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Louis Sclavis Trio – Ceux Qui Veillent La NuitR-2575909-1291264864.jpg.73e1bf650d985b5f14e8d2fc2e15533d.jpg

I think the French jazz scene of the 1990s needs a concerted rediscovery. There are so many great records on labels like Dreyfus, Bleu and Nato that barely form part of the conversation.

I did not know this one. Just listend to it - it's a good one, if a bit show-offish.

There's a lot (in relative terms) of conversation about French jazz in France. If you mean this board - well, what can I say... 

When I was living in Paris (in 1999-2000), somebody like Sclavis or Portal or Solal would fill large concert halls (probably 400-500 people or so). Galliano too, of course - he was very much appreciated by non-jazz audiences. 

Les Allumes Du Jazz is a good source for French jazz: https://www.lesallumesdujazz.com/e-boutique,accueil  

Stanley Black And His Piano – Tropical Moonlight

R-5579862-1397115515-5329.jpg.59e5d84d91d77ca01ee893e1a9fb2d79.jpg

I'm trying to figure out which 00s hip hop song samples the opening track of this. I can remember snatches of the song (it had a list of "colours passing through my miiiind"). Unfortunately, in 2024 both Google and WhoSampled are too wretched to find the answer.

22 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

There's a lot (in relative terms) of conversation about French jazz in France. If you mean this board - well, what can I say... 

When I was living in Paris (in 1999-2000), somebody like Sclavis or Portal or Solal would fill large concert halls (probably 400-500 people or so). Galliano too, of course - he was very much appreciated by non-jazz audiences. 

I'm sure it's appreciated in France (hence which a dopey resource like a FNAC guide would have it). But strange it doesn't make it to the likes of e.g. RYM listicles as such as it should do.

37 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

I did not know this one. Just listend to it - it's a good one, if a bit show-offish.

Les Allumes Du Jazz is a good source for French jazz: https://www.lesallumesdujazz.com/e-boutique,accueil  

Sclavis played in larger halls than that in London at that time, possibly because he visited occasionally.

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Stanley Black And His Piano – Tropical Moonlight

R-5579862-1397115515-5329.jpg.59e5d84d91d77ca01ee893e1a9fb2d79.jpg

I'm trying to figure out which 00s hip hop song samples the opening track of this. I can remember snatches of the song (it had a list of "colours passing through my miiiind"). Unfortunately, in 2024 both Google and WhoSampled are too wretched to find the answer.

Not sampled in hip hop, it turns out. Well, not really. 

"Tropical" (by Morton Gould), the opening track to the 1957 Stanley Black record I posted above, has a percussion hook that in this version is extremely similar to the very memorable jingly percussion intro to Shuggie Otis' 1971 tune "Strawberry Letter 23".

Not a sample, but pretty damn similar.

The Brothers Johnson had a hit with a cover of the Shuggie Otis tune in 1977, which includes the jingling melody but in a less foregrounded way and on a cheap sounding keyboard. 

Then, on to 00s hip hop at last. The melody to 2000 hit "Ms Jackson" by OutKast is similar to Strawberry Letter 23 (to the extent that you can sing the lyrics to Strawberry Letter 23 to the chorus of Ms Jackson without much modification, which is what I was doing in my misremembered version). The song actually samples the Brothers Johnson's cover. But it does not use the jingling percussion melody.

But that's why I thought the Stanley Black tune had been sampled in a 00s hip hop tune.

Glad to have sorted that one out as it has been annoying me all day.

My apologies to Google and to WhoSampled.

Edited by Rabshakeh