• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, T.D. said:

Ny02MTI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

This is a good one. And the sound is vivid, which is not always the case with Enja releases. Although this is a Japanese reissue.

The Cover Art used comes from the (later) Ensayo release ....

4 hours ago, T.D. said:

Ny02MTI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

This is a good one. And the sound is vivid, which is not always the case with Enja releases. Although this is a Japanese reissue.

Dușco Goicovici was kind of a hero of our youth back then, His trumpet sound, I mean you have the Miles-sound and love it, and over here you had the Goicovici -Sound, different, but nevertheless there was something familiar. 

We loved his hard to find albums "After Hours" and "Balcani Jazz" with "Saga Secorama" or how they said it in Iugoslavia. 

This one must be great too ! 

1 minute ago, Gheorghe said:

We loved his hard to find albums "After Hours" and "Balcani Jazz" with "Saga Secorama" or how they said it in Iugoslavia. 

This one must be great too ! 

"After Hours" = "Ten To Two Blues" ....

5 hours ago, T.D. said:

Yes, that album has a strange history with multiple reissues and different titles/cover art. Certainly good, though.

Yep.  A few months ago, I picked up a U.S. version issued on Musical Heritage Society (MHS).  I found it filed in the record shop's classical bins! :)  As you say, though, it's excellent music, regardless of the packaging.

NP:

NTEtMTM2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Geri Allen - The Nurturer (Blue Note, 1991)
with Marcus Belgrave (tr & flhn), Kenny Garrett (as), Robert Hurst (b), Jeff Watts (d), and Eli Fountain (perc)

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

NTEtMTM2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

with Marcus Belgrave (tr & flhn), Kenny Garrett (as), Robert Hurst (b), Jeff Watts (d), and Eli Fountain (perc)

That's a memory jog, bet it still sounds good

Something a bit more recent playing here,

Chien Chien Lu - Built In System, Live in New York

Now listening to the music originally released on the Revelation Records LP Secrets, as heard on this set:

OS0xNzA1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Carter is a superb instrumentalist -- but the thing that sets his music apart (for me, at least) are his skills as a composer.  And I mean "composer" in both the traditional sense as well as the Wayne Shorter-articulated idea of improvisation-as-spontaneous-composition. . . . For all his ties with & comparisons to Ornette Coleman, John Carter has an artistic voice that strikes me as entirely his own.

In other words:  Phew!  This is good stuff! 

59 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now listening to the music originally released on the Revelation Records LP Secrets, as heard on this set:

OS0xNzA1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Carter is a superb instrumentalist -- but the thing that sets his music apart (for me, at least) are his skills as a composer.  And I mean "composer" in both the traditional sense as well as the Wayne Shorter-articulated idea of improvisation-as-spontaneous-composition. . . . For all his ties with & comparisons to Ornette Coleman, John Carter has an artistic voice that strikes me as entirely his own.

In other words:  Phew!  This is good stuff! 

Sounds like I should get myself a copy 

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NTEtMTM2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

On this now, better than I remember