Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Composers Workshop Ensemble with Warren Smith – Composers Workshop Ensemble (Strata-East, 1973)

R-488775-1209134144.jpg

A Strata East record that I don't really know at all and am listening to for the first time.

I was expecting some sort of Michael Mantler or European 60s art school thing, just from the name, but it's not that at all. 

It's quite interesting stuff - to my ears it sounds like it revisits some of that lost school of hard boppers like Gryce/Byrd or Golson: larger sized groups, playing very heavily arranged happy hard bop with interesting front line combinations and an emphasis on memorable tunes. I've always had a soft spot for that era, and am enjoying this.

The record has quite a bit of recognisable talent: Howard Johnson, Julius Watkins and Johnny Coles are on it. But I've never heard of the rest, including drummer Warren Smith, who seems to be the leader.

Does anyone know anything about it?

There were two Strata-East albums by that group - this one and "We've Been Around".  Both very worthwhile.  The best way to get the music is on a 2CD set by Smith on Claves, which contains both albums, an outtake from the first album, and 30 minutes of 1982 recordings:  https://www.discogs.com/release/1990925-Warren-Smith-The-Composers-Workshop-Ensemble-Warren-Smith-The-Composers-Workshop-Ensemble

13 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

NDUtNTkyNS5qcGVn.jpeg

I love it. From the 40´s I like the Savoy sides more than the Dial sides Dexter made. Somehow the Savoy sides have more fire . My favourite tune is "Dexter Dig´s In" especially here in the original key Db. We also played this on some gigs, of course in that key that I love. 
Dexter re-recorded it later. In 1973 with Jackie McLean in Bb, and in 1979 with Eddie Jefferson in G .....Eddie Jefferson scats the same line as Dexters original solo on that tune, only in another key (G).

Jessy Stacy & The Famous Sidemen "A Tribute to Benny Goodman" Atlantic/Koch cd

NjctNDY1MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Alto Saxophone – Heinie Beau
Arranged By – Heinie Beau
Baritone Saxophone – Charles Gentry
Bass – Artie Shapiro, Morty Corb
Drums – Nick Fatool
Guitar – Allan Reuss
Piano – Jess Stacy
Tenor Saxophone – Vido Musso
Trombone – Murray McEachern
Trumpet – Ziggy Elman